Valued Contributor

Jeopardy tonight (spoiler alert)

Wow. She was great. Looked to me like James was ready to say farewell. Touching to give card to Alex from his daughter. Wow.
Valued Contributor

Re: Jeopardy tonight (spoiler alert)

I'm not sure but that might have been his smallest final jeopardy bet.  

Respected Contributor

For those of you who have enjoyed watching him, was he knowledgeable about Shakespeare?  That is often a Jeopardy category, so his small bid might seem strange.

Did he purposely lose? 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN  He knows Shakespeare, but his only chance of winning was if she didn't know the answer and being a librarian, she would, so he more or less forfeited.

Esteemed Contributor

I was a little disappointed when he walked over to her and just patted her arm.  I, at least, expected a hug.

Was I expecting too much????

In any event, I'm happy that she won.

Esteemed Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
Wow. She was great. Looked to me like James was ready to say farewell. Touching to give card to Alex from his daughter. Wow.

@birdQ13   Hi - when was this?  I missed it.  TIA

Honored Contributor

When he gave Alex the card I said to my husband....this is his last night.

He appeared to have this planned IMO.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I was a little disappointed when he walked over to her and just patted her arm.  I, at least, expected a hug.

Was I expecting too much????

In any event, I'm happy that she won.

Why would he hug her? He didn't know her. In today's world, he would have gotten slammed if he had.

I thought he gave her a "high five" which was very appropriate. Most outgoing champs don't do anything.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

When he gave Alex the card I said to my husband....this is his last night.

He appeared to have this planned IMO.

@DREAMON  I thought the same thing about the card. I also saw something over the weekend that said his daughter wanted him to lose. 

I wanted him to break Ken Jenning's "amount won" record but he had broken so many records, maybe he decided to leave that one in tact. We'll see him again when they have the next Champion's Tournament.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Respected Contributor

Why are people assuming he lost on purpose?  Of course he didn't.  The lady was very smart and very fast on the buzzer.  He got the first daily double on the first clue and could only wager $1000.  She got the next two Daily Doubles and doubled her score.  From that time until the end she was leading because he had no opportunity to bet big.  She more or less beat him using his own strategy.

As to Final Jeopardy, he bet enough that if she got it wrong he would win.  But that was not likely to happen.  There was no reason for him to bet more than he did.

It was sweet of his daughter to make a get well card for Alex.  But James most certainly did not lose on purpose.