Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Jeopardy With Anderson Cooper

@kelsey17 wrote:

Couldn;t watch Anderson Cooper ....can't stomach the man........................Aaron R. was good and Ken Jennings

i thought  was doing a great job.  But enough is enough...time to appoint a permanent host.

Jeopardy has booked all guest hosts for the entire season.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This weekend I got to wondering if having so many guests hosts is a way for the production company to get us REALLY used to not having Alex around and make us look forward instead of backwards. Know what I mean? Perhaps even to introduce dicussions about who will be the next one and keep people interested in the game as opposed to dropping it due to Alex's death.

Perhaps they have already decided who it will be and are just going thru the exercise of having different people on, many of whom are really not interested except as having a chance to say they hosted the long-running program, and they will circle back to whomever they already decided to hire.

Just saying........

Honored Contributor

Anderson Cooper's Jeopardy! Stint Set to End — How Does He Stack Up Against His Guest Host Rivals? Written by Michael Ausiello  April 29, 2021

Anderson Cooper is complicating Jeopardy’s search for a full-time successor to Alex Trebek. With the CNN anchor set to wrap up his two-week stint as guest host on Friday, the social media consensus appears to be that Cooper did the iconic lectern proud, presiding over the game show with an effortless mix of gravitas and humor — and presumably making the ultimate decision on a permanent emcee that much more difficult.

“Our goal has been to present a wide variety of guest hosts with different skill sets and backgrounds on our path to finding a permanent host,” EP Mike Richards, who served as an interim host himself, said last week. “Our passionate fans are telling us what they like, and we are listening. All of the guest hosts have brought individualism, energy and an authentic love of our show to each of their episodes.”

Ahead of Cooper’s final episode (at least for now) on Friday, we gotta ask: How does he stack up against his guest host rivals, which, in addition to Richards, includes GOAT contestant Ken Jennings, former Today co-host Katie Couric, polarizing health guru Dr. Mehmet Oz and NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers? (For the record, the remaining guest-host roster includes 60 Minutes‘ Bill Whitaker — who follows Cooper beginning May 3 — Big Bang Theory vet Mayim Bialik, CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Today‘s Savannah Guthrie, Jeopardy! all-star Buzzy Cohen, Reading Rainbow fan fave LeVar Burton, Good Morning America‘s George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts, NBC’s David Faber and sportcaster Joe Buck.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What do they think? That they have to search the world over to find anyone who can come close to how Alex hosted the show? I think it's all just to keep the show in the news to keep all the die hard Alex fans interested. In other words... publicity. It's becoming ridiculous. (imho)

Respected Contributor

Well, one more day with Anderson Cooper.  I think he has really improved over the course of his 10 tapings. 

Wed and Thur, I thought he was relaxed, funny and really great.  I don't know who is up next week, but they have big shoes to fill.  

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Well, one more day with Anderson Cooper.  I think he has really improved over the course of his 10 tapings. 

Wed and Thur, I thought he was relaxed, funny and really great.  I don't know who is up next week, but they have big shoes to fill.  

@Bridgegal My post, second below yours, lists the next people to host. Heart

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

What do they think? That they have to search the world over to find anyone who can come close to how Alex hosted the show? I think it's all just to keep the show in the news to keep all the die hard Alex fans interested. In other words... publicity. It's becoming ridiculous. (imho)

@shaggygirl I totally agree with you, commenting on the same observation a few posts back; and to help people move on and have other things to talk about when mentioning the show.

Valued Contributor

Re the Michael Ausiello article - has he watched Cooper emcee the show?  

My description would be wooden and flat.  He gives canned responses whenever a contestant answers.  Today, I wondered if he had them written on a piece of paper and just rotated them.  

"That's right" is a favorite of his which he repeats ad nauseum.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if the program has lost viewers because of the constantly changing hosts. I don't watch it during these changes. Just wish it would end and Kenneth returns.

Esteemed Contributor

I have generally found Anderson endearing through his work with (dare I say it?) CNN, but lately he seems less incisive, more hesitant in his delivery.  Of course it's not really fair to speculate, but I'll throw my hat in the ring - his Mom died and he adopted a baby.  Add Covid and the controversies in recent years.  I think he's fine on Jeopardy but I wonder if he's going through an evaluation to a new life phase.

Cogito ergo sum