Respected Contributor

Jeopardy - Record One Day Win!

[ Edited ]

The guy on Jeopardy today (James) just beat the record for the most amount of money won in one day - over 114,000.  This is his third day and so far he's won around 245, 000 (in 3 days!).  He's like a machine, really, really smart and very gutsy wagers.  He says he's a professional sports gambler.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Jeopardy - Record One Day Win!

He has been magnificent.  He commented that he has been preparing for his appearance since he was a "kid" and participate in academic bowls through high school.  His knowledge seems quite expansive and eclectic.  He has been a pleasure to watch.  He was on "The Chase" and his wife appeared on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" based on the information I found online in newspapers.  His perspectives on whether his winning will continue are insightful.

Super Contributor

Wow!  Our family used to watch Jeopardy every evening.   Very impressive!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was watching.  I have mixed feelings about this player.  I'm sure he'll wind up in the Tournament of Champions when they have that.  He wagers BIG when he hits those Daily Doubles.  I felt happy for him when he won the big $$$ but I don't like him as a player.  Yes, he's very very smart - how does he KNOW all this stuff?  I don't like the way he calls on all the $1000 questions in the first round, and then works backwards and jumps from category to category.  Makes me very anxious and I don't enjoy the program.

In Double Jeopardy he seems to start with the $1600 questions - and works from there down to the $2000 questions to find the Daily Doubles.  Yeah, he's a smart player, no doubt about that - but he's answering about 75% maybe more of the questions and I find it too much.  He's not likeable to me like Austin was or some of the other big winners on the show.  I hope he's not around forever, I think I'd stop watching the show until he's gone.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Yes, I was watching.  I have mixed feelings about this player.  I'm sure he'll wind up in the Tournament of Champions when they have that.  He wagers BIG when he hits those Daily Doubles.  I felt happy for him when he won the big $$$ but I don't like him as a player.  Yes, he's very very smart - how does he KNOW all this stuff?  I don't like the way he calls on all the $1000 questions in the first round, and then works backwards and jumps from category to category.  Makes me very anxious and I don't enjoy the program.

In Double Jeopardy he seems to start with the $1600 questions - and works from there down to the $2000 questions to find the Daily Doubles.  Yeah, he's a smart player, no doubt about that - but he's answering about 75% maybe more of the questions and I find it too much.  He's not likeable to me like Austin was or some of the other big winners on the show.  I hope he's not around forever, I think I'd stop watching the show until he's gone.

@jellyBEAN 

Just curious why you don't like that he jumps to different catagories when other contestants do the same.  And there is no rule that says you have to answer questions in order of smallest dollar amount first. 

Esteemed Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a good feeling about this guy.  How can he not only bet big, but always beat out the other contestants on the buzzer?  For some reason, I feel like he's figured out the system (like a card counter).  Don't know what it is, but he's almost too good to be true.  I read somewhere once that the least liked players by the Jeopardy staff are those who play the big amounts first.  

Honored Contributor

He sounds like quite a character.  I don't like it either when they jump to the highest answers first, but it's a winning strategy for him and has been for others.  At any rate, I hope Alex Trebek is doing well.

Honored Contributor

This guy currently on Jeopardy is amazing. I'd love to see him play against some or all of the grand master players who were all just on doing the 'smartest' on Jeopardy shows.

Trusted Contributor

And what is a professional gambler????  I get poker players and the like, but I don't get professional gamblers.  Smells fishy to me.  They MUST figure the odds and do mathematical equations to use the system.  It's a whole heck a lot more than luck.  Yeah, I'm cynical.