Respected Contributor

Re: Jeopardy - Mayim Bialik Drops Serious Intel

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@World Traveler Can't stand her. Won't be watching the specials she will host. If I never hear the word "neuroscientist" again I  can die happy!

And no I did not read the article. Not interested in what she has to say.

What is it about intelligent, successful women, that other women don't like?  I never watch Jeopardy or her so I don't know who she is, but I got absolutely nothing about who she is from this comment other than she is apparently very intelligent. 

@Bhvbum 

The fact that she is intelligent and successful isn't the problem.   Some of HER past comments have been dragged up, too.   There are other reasons people don't like her.  You can google more info if interested.

@Tinkrbl44  She and her children have received vaccines, including for COVID.   A book from over 10 years ago is not where she stands today.  Also her comments about her own sexuality were taken out of context.

The person who "can't stand her" is all she can say.  She "can't stand" anyone-Mayim is just her current target.

The push for LeVar Burton to be the chosen host is still going strong.

As far as being a neuro-scientist, it doesn't matter if she is not working in the field.  The fact that she earned her Ph.D. in the field qualifies her to be considered such a scientist.

If a teacher leaves her profession and goes on to something else, the person is still a teacher, e.g.

Ken Jeong is still a licensed physician but has switched gears to acting and also being a host on Masked Singer.  He is still a doctor.

I think this bashing is based on pettyiness.

But unlike the other examples where they actually put their education into practice, Mayim has not.  She has a degree in neuroscience, that's all.  

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Gee dont blame Mayim for the frequency that her "nuclear scientist" commercial is shown.....

Agree, the frequency shows that the ad is working.....

Esteemed Contributor

For those interested,  Rolling Stone has published a new article, "Mayim Bialik Has a Few Scandals of Her Own."

It highlights negative reaction to her various controversial views on parenting, vaccination and natural birth, among other subject matter.  Sony has not yet commented. 

Were this to derail her temporary or permanent role as host, perhaps Ken Jennings really is now the next in line.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

For those interested,  Rolling Stone has published a new article, "Mayim Bialik Has a Few Scandals of Her Own."

It highlights negative reaction to her various controversial views on parenting, vaccination and natural birth, among other subject matter.  Sony has not yet commented. 

Were this to derail her temporary or permanent role as host, perhaps Ken Jennings really is now the next in line.

Just read it @Johnnyeager . Thanks. Seems like everything I said and was concerned about in regard to her was echoed ...lots of backtracking and just too many apologies. Her stance on vaccines conveniently changed? She still claims her kids don't have all their vaccines. Considering her background in science, she sure leaves a lot to desire. Then her comments about childbirth? This woman has plenty of comments about women in general that boggle the mind.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually enjoyed watching her stint as a guest host and rooted for her to get the job, but never looked into most of this because it seemed so irrelevant. 

But that childbirth stuff, if true, is somewhat disturbing. 

Honored Contributor

If I hadn't read the Rolling Stone article, I would know nothing about her other than her degree and that she was in The Big Bang Theory--which I never watched a full epi.

Geez, she has some history of being vocal, she was really wishy-washy on the birthing issue, blamed Harvey Weinstein victims and was anti vax till she realized she'd lose popularity big time amongst her cronies.

Look up back peddler in the dictionary and you'll see her mug.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

If I hadn't read the Rolling Stone article, I would know nothing about her other than her degree and that she was in The Big Bang Theory--which I never watched a full epi.

Geez, she has some history of being vocal, she was really wishy-washy on the birthing issue, blamed Harvey Weinstein victims and was anti vax till she realized she'd lose popularity big time amongst her cronies.

Look up back peddler in the dictionary and you'll see her mug.

I read the article and found it disturbing, too.  I guess if we looked into everbody's background, we could find disturbing stuff.  While she won't be spouting her beliefs during JEOPARDY,  I guess that is some consolation.  

If I never watched people with different views than my own, I would have to turn off the tube.  The same goes for purchasing from people/vendors that have a different set of values or moral compass than mine.

If watching her doesn't fund something I don't believe in, I will watch.  And really, how would anyone know?  I really don't think the host is the biggest part of the show anyway.  I bet if someone dug deep enough, they might find something about Alex that doesn't line up with their viewpoint.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I actually enjoyed watching her stint as a guest host and rooted for her to get the job, but never looked into most of this because it seemed so irrelevant. 

But that childbirth stuff, if true, is somewhat disturbing. 

@Johnnyeager 

“There are those among us who believe that if the baby can’t survive a home labor, it is OK for it to pass peacefully. I do not subscribe to this, but I know that some feel that… if a baby cannot make it through birth, it is not favored evolutionarily.”

This was prefaced with the issue of C-Section births-which we know today are not always performed as medically necessary.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

One does not have to like Mayim but the back pedal comment was not needed.

People change their minds regarding many issues; society evolves.

If Mayim made her decisions over a decade ago after consulting with her pediatrician, are we not always saying decisions are between the patient(s) and the doctors?

Some of you have conveniently skipped over (ignored) parts of this article to shore up your already confirmed dislike of this person.

Look:  I'm not defending her decade old views but I'm also not adding more to them than should be added.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@World Traveler Can't stand her. Won't be watching the specials she will host. If I never hear the word "neuroscientist" again I  can die happy!

And no I did not read the article. Not interested in what she has to say.

What is it about intelligent, successful women, that other women don't like?  I never watch Jeopardy or her so I don't know who she is, but I got absolutely nothing about who she is from this comment other than she is apparently very intelligent. 

@Bhvbum 

The fact that she is intelligent and successful isn't the problem.   Some of HER past comments have been dragged up, too.   There are other reasons people don't like her.  You can google more info if interested.

@Tinkrbl44  She and her children have received vaccines, including for COVID.   A book from over 10 years ago is not where she stands today.  Also her comments about her own sexuality were taken out of context.

The person who "can't stand her" is all she can say.  She "can't stand" anyone-Mayim is just her current target.

The push for LeVar Burton to be the chosen host is still going strong.

As far as being a neuro-scientist, it doesn't matter if she is not working in the field.  The fact that she earned her Ph.D. in the field qualifies her to be considered such a scientist.

If a teacher leaves her profession and goes on to something else, the person is still a teacher, e.g.

Ken Jeong is still a licensed physician but has switched gears to acting and also being a host on Masked Singer.  He is still a doctor.

I think this bashing is based on pettyiness.

But unlike the other examples where they actually put their education into practice, Mayim has not.  She has a degree in neuroscience, that's all.  

@Shawnie   So??  I graduated with quite a few friends who earned degrees in education and never taught.  They are still certified teachers and could return if they so desired.  (We had grandfathered certs back then.)

It doesn't matter if a person spent zero days in an actual job after earning a degree or spent years.

It's really just nit-picking and earning her Ph.D is an accomplishment.

None of us here can take that away from her.

As I have been saying, her views are hers and although I am not a die-hard fan, (more for her acting) it seems some are pushing at statements made a decade ago to push her out of the running.

And some comments, taken out of context, shows the article was read looking for the negative instead of actually reading what she said.

I don't like it when it happens here to me and to other posters; when we approach with a predetermind perception of others we will always look for what can potentially validate that perception and dismiss anything that does not.

jmoymmv