Honored Contributor

Jeopardy - Mayim Bialik Drops Serious Intel

[ Edited ]

Mayim Bialik Dropped Serious Intel About the Permanent 'Jeopardy!' Host Selection Decision

Mayim Bialik, Mike Richards are posing for a picture: New 'Jeopardy' host Mayim Bialik shared secrets about Mike Richards and the new host decision to fans on her Instagram page.

As Jeopardy! fans know, the show announced last week that both Mayim and Mike will be the new permanent hosts of the beloved quiz show following the death of Alex Trebek last November.

Mike will get to host the show throughout the week, while Mayim will host any primetime or spinoff specials throughout the year.

After the announcement came out, Mayim promptly hopped on Instagram to share the news with her fans. In a video posted to her page last week, Mayim said that she was both "super freaked out" and "thrilled" to be given the opportunity. She also shared some interesting intel about her interactions with Mike while she guest hosted the show for two weeks in June. "He is actually the person who trained me when I was on Jeopardy! He's been the executive producer and I had a really, really amazing time with him," she shared in the video. "I cried when I left, he may have shed a tear."

During the video, the neuroscientist and Call Me Kat star explained that her 15-year-old son, Miles, first had the idea that she should guest host Jeopardy after seeing folks on social media talking about how perfect she would be for the role. After telling his mom, Mayim went to her agent — and the rest is history.

Mayim also went on to hint that she had known about the host offer for quite some time, even before the August 4 Variety story broke that Mike was in "advanced negotiations" with Sony to become the next permanent host.

"I have known, both Mike and I have known. So there was a leak last week, don't worry," she explained, referring to the Variety story. "Everything's fine, everything's great. This is the plan. Sony is very, very lovely to do this the way they've done it. It's really beautiful."

In another Instagram video, which Mayim posted the same day, she spilled even more details about the Jeopardy host selection process. By the sound of things, Mayim was content all along to have a less involved role in Jeopardy!, given her other projects and career endeavors.

"Spoke to Mike Richards, who is my fellow host of Jeopardy! now, and that was really awesome to get to tell him how I thought all along that he was going to be the host," she gushed. "And it was really, really nice... thanking everyone for negotiating on my behalf so that I could continue to do Call Me Kat and continue to do my podcast and all those things."

Mayim and Mike were named the new hosts of Jeopardy! after the show invited a roster of celebrities, athletes, journalists and Jeopardy! champions to try out for the role. Many fans were surprised to hear that Mike, who has been an executive producer on the quiz show for over a year, got the gig over fan favorite and Readying Rainbow star LeVar Burton. Despite fan insinuations that Mike "gave himself" the gig, the executive producer has maintained that though he was initially involved in the selection process,  the choice was not his decision.

Around the time of the announcement, decade-old discrimination and harassment lawsuits against CBS resurfaced from when Mike worked on The Price Is Right. One involved a former model named Brandi Cochran, who claimed that she was fired from the game show after becoming pregnant with twins (the case ended up settled).

Responding to these lawsuits, Mike sent out an internal memo to Jeopardy! staff that in part read, "I want you all to know that the way in which my comments and actions have been characterized in these complaints does not reflect the reality of who I am or how we worked together on The Price is Right."

Mike and Mayim will officially take over starting on September 13, which marks the beginning of season 38.

Honored Contributor

Re: Jeopardy - Mayim Bialik Drops Serious Intel

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler Can't stand her. Won't be watching the specials she will host. If I never hear the word "neuroscientist" again I  can die happy!

And no I did not read the article. Not interested in what she has to say.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I mute her every time and anytime she is on.  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids I probably won't watch her either. Heart

Honored Contributor

I will watch as I like her.

Trusted Contributor

You know I have never watched a complete episode of Jeopardy.  Never cared for it.  Call me strange but I never understood it's popularity. 

Respected Contributor

The first time i see one of her I am a real neuroscientist commercials run during one of her hosted specials i will be out.  She was a mistake.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@World Traveler Can't stand her. Won't be watching the specials she will host. If I never hear the word "neuroscientist" again I  can die happy!

And no I did not read the article. Not interested in what she has to say.

@Love my grandkids 

You don't like neuroscientists?

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  I like her as well and will be watching, Mike too.

Respected Contributor

Claire McNear, the author of "Answers in The Form of Questions: A Definitive History and Insider's Guide to Jeopardy, has written an article about Mike Richards. You can read it on the Ringer dot com website.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky