Respected Contributor

Jeopardy GOAT (Greatest of all Time) Championship (1/7/20)

Like myself, I am sure many are looking forward to this championship, with contestants Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer, competing for the GOAT Jeopardy champion, beginning this week.

I am sure ABC is looking toward a ratings bonanza with this one.

The nightly shows are taped in advance and I am assuming this will be also.  With an audience in attendance, how would they keep the outcome a secret?  If one would mention to a relative, friend or coworker what transpired, it would be all over social media and ruin it for many.  Would the show opt to have the families of the contestants and show employees in the audience? 

In any event, I am really looking forward to it.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jeopardy GOAT (Greatest of all Time) Championship (1/7/20)

DVR all set.  I do think families are in the audience and may even have to sign a privacy agreement. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

I have mixed feelings.  I'm wondering if Alex will retire at the end of this championship.  That program is just not going to be the same without him.  I wonder if whoever wins this championship would be considered for a replacement.  My heart aches for Alex Trebek.  Such a classy man.

Respected Contributor

I cannot stand James so I won't be watching. Hope the other 2 wipe the floor with him. He needs to be brought down a few pegs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette     I am thinking along those lines also.  It seems an odd time to have the tournament now as opposed to the end of the season, just prior to summer break.

They most definitely wanted Alex to do this show.  It just would not be the same without him.  I am guessing he will love every minute of it.

I tend to think Alex will be leaving the show soon.  He is such a class act....very hard to replace him.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is winner take all if I heard correctly, so that really will make it interesting. Best wishes to Alex.

Respected Contributor

I think I read that the first one to win 3 games is the winner. Don't think the money amount figures into the winner. 

Starting on Tuesday makes me wonder if the winner was determined in 4 games? 

I think Alex is getting ready to say Good Bye.........

Honored Contributor

Yes, it will be a good contest.  That one guy from Naperville, IL is from my former neighborhood.  Now I am in a suburb next to it.  It's hard to believe how smart these people are.  I mean, they are well rounded in all subjects.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette  I do feel for Alex but my heart goes out to his wife.  He has admitted he has been very difficult at times and she must turn the cheek.  That  is a strong woman.  I hope Alex makes it and beats this cancer.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Krimpette     I am thinking along those lines also.  It seems an odd time to have the tournament now as opposed to the end of the season, just prior to summer break.

They most definitely wanted Alex to do this show.  It just would not be the same without him.  I am guessing he will love every minute of it.

I tend to think Alex will be leaving the show soon.  He is such a class act....very hard to replace him.

@Mersha  I agree with you. I not only think they wanted Alex to do this show, I think it's something of a gift to him. The odd timing is because they wanted him to still be at the top of his game or close. Alex loves doing the Championship Shows and he has great respect and admiration for all these champions.

I will watch and enjoy but in the back of my mind, I will also be sad. I believe it's the beginning of the end of Alex's reign.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.