Honored Contributor

Re: Jeopardy GOAT (Greatest of all Time) Championship (1/7/20)

@Krimpette wrote:

I have mixed feelings.  I'm wondering if Alex will retire at the end of this championship.  That program is just not going to be the same without him.  I wonder if whoever wins this championship would be considered for a replacement.  My heart aches for Alex Trebek.  Such a classy man.

I commented to one of my friends, will this be his swan song.

I noticed the 3 champs all had the purple pancreatic ribbins on their lapels.

Respected Contributor

Contestants wore the ribbons last year, during PC Awareness month, and some have been wearing them, sporadically, since.

The upcoming tournament might possibly be the last for any 79-year-old host, ill or not, so reading "swan song" into it simply because the contenders are wearing ribbons, is silly.

🤔Moreover, I highly doubt that Trebek has shared the specifics of his retirement with the three contestants; they're not privy to his plans. He's as much as said that he'll make an on-air announcement when it's time.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

I am looking forward to this tournament.

This past weekend I saw two different programs about Alex....one was the ABC interview with Michael Strahan.  The other was called Game Changers and it had the history of game shows.... I felt both were interesting and done well.

Respected Contributor

Jeopardy fans, don't forget the tournament begins tonight!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Great game! And Alex looked terrific.

Respected Contributor

I am totally blown away by the incredible amount of knowledge the guys have....so wide ranging and diverse.

....amazing!!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

James is slow tonight.

Respected Contributor

James also did not get any of his beloved Daily Doubles to rack up the big bucks.

....amazing he was so close to Ken in the end.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha, yes. And I have to say, I get tired of hearing people talk about Ken Jennings as a master of "trivia." It's often done in a pejorative way (hence, "trivial"), dismissive of what some consider to be a waste of brain space. Ken Jennings is *knowledgeable*. That's to be celebrated.

I enjoyed the show, and hope it's like the World Series, with different winners so it lasts longer lol. I also like the idea of airing a short backstory on each contestant.

Respected Contributor

I'm njoying the speed of the game.  They get thru the first round w/no commercial break.  And they are getting thru all the questions in the 2nd round.  I was pleased w/tonight's outcome.

I've noticed in the regular shows that they are not getting thru the questions/answers lately, sometimes w/4 or 5 answers still left up on the board.  It might be because of the last woman who was winning (8 games or so) and the others had slowed the game down a bit. 

The one fellow didn't do well tonight because he took some big hits w/losing his daily doubles.  I felt bad for him.  Maybe he can catch up but he's got a long way to go to catch the other two.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing