Super Contributor

Re: Jeopardy. Best guest host so far

I have seen them all.

Katie Couric was unwatachable...I was disappointed because what a step forward to have had a female host.

Aaron Rodgers was nice to look at, but too much the California, laid back surfer dude.

Dr Oz....still cant get past those ears of his...a big no

Ken Jennings...he needed to take it down a notch...like he missed his ritalyn

Anderson Cooper...he was a great host. Clear concise delivery, and clever chats. I would love to see him permanently, but the host job comes with some "borders" as to your expressing political views and commenting on issues.  It would have to be all about the game. Anderson is too good to lose in that field.

Bill Whittiker...his voice is too low and monotone. Its almost like his moustache is covering his words. 

Mike Richards..a tie with Anderson as to watachability and delivery.  IMO he will be the host.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best host of the ones I've seen  is Aaron Rodgers. Ken Jennings is second. They say that a permanent host will be selected by Septermber or October. 

I saw that Anderson Cooper had low ratings; I didn't watch him so I can't say. He probably wouldn't have time to host permanently, anyway. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a little perplexed by the attention people are paying to  the hosts of this show. 

DH and I watch Jeopardy every night because we like to try to answer the questions.  This must be  unique to our household, because I can't imagine tuning out of the show or falling asleep during it, just because the host may not be pleasing to us personally.  (Haven't seen a terrible guest host, yet, however.)

Couldn't care less who the host happens to be that night........just like to hear the correct answers. 

That's what the show is all about.  It's not supposed to be a personality parade or celebrity showcase, even if some folks apparently only watch it for that reason.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

By the way, if we really want a "personality" hosting the show, I'd probably be entertained by Judge Judy, Jimmy Kimmel,  or Shaquille O'Neal, or a few others who don't come to mind right now.  

Other than that, I'm in it for the quiz and contest aspect.  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Last night (with Bill Whitaker as host) my husband said .." I'd rather watch old reruns with Alex as host".

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I'm a little perplexed by the attention people are paying to  the hosts of this show. 

DH and I watch Jeopardy every night because we like to try to answer the questions.  This must be  unique to our household, because I can't imagine tuning out of the show or falling asleep during it, just because the host may not be pleasing to us personally.  (Haven't seen a terrible guest host, yet, however.)

Couldn't care less who the host happens to be that night........just like to hear the correct answers. 

That's what the show is all about.  It's not supposed to be a personality parade or celebrity showcase, even if some folks apparently only watch it for that reason.

It's all about the ratings and the sponsors. They will choose the person that they think will bring in the highest amount of both.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@novamc1  I agree.   I watch for the answers, not who is speaking them.  I always skipped the player interviews when Alex was the host.

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine why people haven't liked Anderson Cooper - I thought he was perfection.  Maybe the CNN factor.  I liked Katie Couric too - so upbeat and would love to see a woman host.

that being said though I really don't watch Jeopardy for the host.

And I don't think any of these guest hosts will be the permanent host.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sophiamarie @I'd be shocked if Anderson Cooper would take a full time job on Jeopardy with his other job taking up his time. He probably doesn't need the money, either. I'm surprised he didn't rate well though. 

@Mindy D   The article that I read said that Anderson Cooper rated the highest.  I thought he was far better than anyone else.  He was so relaxed and personable.

I think it's very partisan as to whether you like him or not.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Whoever was the guest host tonight, 5/6, is the best guest host thy have had so far. I recognize him but I don't know his name. He has just the right Je ne sais quoi for the job.

@Mindy D   That's Bill Whittaker from 60 Minutes.  Funny - but I'm not fond of him on Jeopardy... I don't know why Anderson Cooper rated lowest... I really liked him.... I don't think he was the best, but I certainly wouldn't call him the worst, so far.... I also liked Ken Jennings, but Bill Whittaker, so far, has no personality for this show.... He's a news reporter and great on 60 Minutes..... JMO

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Whoever was the guest host tonight, 5/6, is the best guest host thy have had so far. I recognize him but I don't know his name. He has just the right Je ne sais quoi for the job.

@Mindy D   That's Bill Whittaker from 60 Minutes.  Funny - but I'm not fond of him on Jeopardy... I don't know why Anderson Cooper rated lowest... I really liked him.... I don't think he was the best, but I certainly wouldn't call him the worst, so far.... I also liked Ken Jennings, but Bill Whittaker, so far, has no personality for this show.... He's a news reporter and great on 60 Minutes..... JMO

@sophiamarie 

Wow, I find that surprising.  I thought AC was quite good.

@Tinkrbl44   There must be different articles about this.  The one that I read said that Anderson Cooper rated the highest.  I've watched them all, and I thought AC was by far the best.  Ken Jennings was good, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau