Respected Contributor

Re: Jennifer Lopez To Star In Musical

I like her too....she not the greatest actress or singer but she's by no means the worse...and she is gorgeous.  She seems like a sweet person.  I loved the gentleness she brought to American Idol...she was one of my favorite judges.  

Trusted Contributor

I think Lopez is perfect casting for this show.  The role was not written for a legit, fantastic singer.  Chita Rivera, who is known more for her dancing than her singing, was the original Rosie on Broadway, and Janet Leigh, who is not a singer at all, played the role in the film opposite ****** Van ******.  Whie she may not be handed an Academy Award anytime soon, she has starred in major films and TV shows, and is an international superstar.  To say that she is not a good dancer is just wrong.  She is a fantastic dancer, and she can outdance pop stars half her age.  I know some people don't like her, but to say she is anything less than a terrific dancer is an uninformed opinion.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

I think Lopez is perfect casting for this show.  The role was not written for a legit, fantastic singer.  Chita Rivera, who is known more for her dancing than her singing, was the original Rosie on Broadway, and Janet Leigh, who is not a singer at all, played the role in the film opposite ****** Van ******.  Whie she may not be handed an Academy Award anytime soon, she has starred in major films and TV shows, and is an international superstar.  To say that she is not a good dancer is just wrong.  She is a fantastic dancer, and she can outdance pop stars half her age.  I know some people don't like her, but to say she is anything less than a terrific dancer is an uninformed opinion.

Dancing is how she broke into the business. She was one of The Fly Girls on In Living Color.....She can definitely dance!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Kardashian (upthread),

I totally admire a woman who can wear their hair

slicked straight back in a ponytail & call it elegant.

Both the K girls & JLo can do that without fault.

Only true beauties can carry that look off.

Yeah, Jennifer Lopez is a "Triple Threat"...sing, dance, act.

Anyone saying otherwise, well....srsly...makes you look silly.

I have a feeling they didn't even know who she is.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom, this is going to come as a shock to you so sit down but gasp! I and the others who are not impressed by Jennifer Lopez have, in fact, heard of her.  And seen her.  Trying to sing, dance, act. 

She's not good at any.  And to say anyone who doesn't agree with you is "silly" is just ignorant.

She can do a certain type of dance but she is netiher light on her feet nor graceful and those are necessary to be a good let alone great dancer.  Her acting is mediocre and her singing was never great but she hasn't even sung live without tracks in ages.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom, this is going to come as a shock to you so sit down but gasp! I and the others who are not impressed by Jennifer Lopez have, in fact, heard of her.  And seen her.  Trying to sing, dance, act. 

She's not good at any.  And to say anyone who doesn't agree with you is "silly" is just ignorant.

She can do a certain type of dance but she is netiher light on her feet nor graceful and those are necessary to be a good let alone great dancer.  Her acting is mediocre and her singing was never great but she hasn't even sung live without tracks in ages.

only a certain type of dancer?

not graceful?

not light on her feet?

i beg to differ.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoAbTXngJFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiF-dIzikso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmxZfppq6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EHOKYYkqk

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45, I still disagree with you.

I watched a little of each, the first three I found her clunky and not light on her feet or graceful.  In the last one she was young at the early part of her career and her dancing was best.

Thing is, she did her best dancing and acting and singing (Selena) early on in her career.  And then stopped growing as a performer.  So her best work is way behind her.

But thanks, it was good to see her real face in that fourth video, her face was so much prettier before she had all that work done on it.

Honored Contributor

Jennifer danced beautifully with Richard Gere in the movie, Shall We Dance, where she plaued a ballroom dance instructor.

Honored Contributor

sidsmom wrote:

Speaking of Kardashian (upthread),

I totally admire a woman who can wear their hair

slicked straight back in a ponytail & call it elegant.

Both the K girls & JLo can do that without fault.

Only true beauties can carry that look off.

I know, right?  So much JLo hate here.  Smiley Wink    I get different opinions.  I'm not trying to imply nobody is entitled.  But she is talented in all three ways.

One of my favorite pieces was 'Selena'.  She was so good in that movie.  I've probably seen it a dozen times.  It's one of those movies that if you come across it you have to stay and watch.  Smiley Happy

I've also enjoyed other JLo movies.  I've never gone to a live show of hers, but I've seen enough of her singing and dancing to observe that she earned her pay.  

Plus, just to be superficial, she is QUITE lovely!  She really looks great and I have no reason to believe that she isn't a good parent.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

Although this year's live musical broadcast of "Hairspray" hasn't aired yet on NBC (it airs December 7), they've already announced that next year's live musical will be " Bye Bye Birdie."  Jennifer Lopez will play the female leading role of Rosie Alvarez.  Sounds like it will be a good one.

I think the role of the teenager Kim McAfee is the lead  role (Ann- Maragret) in the film. As for Jennifer Lopez playing Rosie, at least she's Lantina, Janet Leigh wasn't and was miscast. Loved Rob Petrie in the role as Albert (if I list the actor's name it will be censored)! This is a favorite movie of mine, I hope this production will be good.