Honored Contributor

Re: Jeff Bridges in The Old Man

I can't believe that woman, Zoe! Do you really think she deserves half of what he owns??! She's out for blood it seems like it to me. What a beotch.

Esteemed Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

DH and I didn't get into the show until episode 2 and I figured we'd be able to figure out what happened in episode 1 as the show goes on but we can't quite put it all together.  On demand has only episodes 2 and 3 and we dont have hulu. Can someone please explain the plot of this show and what happened in episode 1?

thanks!!

@FatCatinCT ...I need to catch up with it myself and find that I also get thrown off and it keeps me guessing with each episode...Here is a brief synopsis that I googled for you.

Spoiler

What is The Old Man plot?

As we said, The Old Man is based on the Thomas Perry novel of the same name, which was published in 2017. Here is the official synopsis for the TV version of The Old Man:

"The Old Man centers on Dan Chase, who absconded from the CIA decades ago and has been living off the grid since. When an assassin arrives and tries to take Chase out, the old operative learns that to ensure his future he now must reconcile his past.

"With Dan Chase flushed out of hiding, the FBI’s Assistant Director for Counterintelligence Harold Harper is called on to hunt him down because of his complicated past with the rogue fugitive. Working alongside Harper is his protégé, Angela Adams, and CIA Special Agent Raymond Waters. When Chase proves to be more difficult to apprehend than the authorities expected, Julian Carson, a highly trained special ops contractor, is sent to pursue him as well. While on the run, Chase rents a room from Zoe McDonald who draws on reserves she never knew she had in order to survive the day when she learns the truth about her new tenant."

Perry’s The Old Man is a standalone book. However, FX lists the show as a drama series, not a limited series, which could mean that either the first seven episodes won’t cover the entirety of Perry’s book or that they could have plans to further the story in some ways, though nothing is confirmed.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Super Contributor

Thank you @MyShadowLove!    I guess the big missing part was the why are they hunting him now which is what we missed.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  @Infinite Mom 47 

Agree, the character Zoe really does not understand who she is dealing with . I can't wait for  the next episode ,  to see what comes next  between them and her extortionist plan .

In  regard to his daughter Emily , I wonder if she & actor John Lithgow aboard that plane  have jsut fallen into a trap by Hamzad .

The back story in Afghanistan  , of Balfour  , her husband Hazmad and  Jeff Bridges  aka Dan Chase

There is also a  past hidden storyline between  Emily ,  Haper's deceased son Chip  and Harper's grandson Henry . Further , we learn that Emily aks Angela had been in a relationship with Harper's future daughter-in law Lily .  So, what's all this about .

Esteemed Contributor

So, the FBI/CIA is after Dan because Hamzad needs questions answered?  How does Hamzad have so much clout?  Could Emily/Angela possibly be Hamzad's daughter?  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering if Harold Harper is really Angela's father. Something he said to the CIA man, dark haired man Agent Waters, about having any kids just before he was about to board the plane in the last scene. Harper was responding to a question about why he was going with Angela on the plane. I took his answer as one where Harold could have been referring to Angela as his kid.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FatCatinCT wrote:

Thank you @MyShadowLove!    I guess the big missing part was the why are they hunting him now which is what we missed. 

@FatCatinCT ...You are very welcome...Here is another part of his backstory which is from the "vulture website" that will also help explain the complexities of his character and life. 

Spoiler

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-old-man-season-one-episode-two-recap.html

But first, more backstory: The episode opens in the 1980s, where in a desolate Afghanistan desert, we learn that during the Soviet-Afghan War, Chase went rogue from the U.S. government and joined forces with a warlord named Faraz Hamzad. Chase’s reasoning is right out of the typical spy-thriller playbook: The “good guys” may be the “bad guys” after all, and vice versa. What we further deduce from this secretive desert meeting between Bill Heck’s Young Dan Chase and Christopher Redman’s Young Harold Harper (Redman doing a superb John Lithgow impersonation) is Harper knew about Chase’s treachery but kept it a secret from his superiors for decades. That and Dan Chase’s real name is “Johnny.”

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Trusted Contributor

@elated  I have the series set to record and watch later.  I just fast forward through all those annoying commercials. I watched 3 of the episodes back to back last night.

Respected Contributor

I'm not watching.  Not a fan of Jeff Bridges.  There is something about the way he talks and his mouth that I don't like.  I lasted about 5 minutes when he was on CBS Sunday Morning a couple of weeks ago.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can't believe that woman, Zoe! Do you really think she deserves half of what he owns??! She's out for blood it seems like it to me. What a beotch.

@SilleeMee   No kidding.  I realize her life has been up ended but geeze Louise already.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh