Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jeff Bridges in The Old Man

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   I tried watching it.   I just can't buy it.   I know I might be in the minority, but most of the time I was bored except for the violence or worrying about the dogs.

My DH read the book and loved it but he does not watch TV so I was asking him questions about it and he said they must have altered the novel because he didn't know what I was talking about.   I stopped watching after Episode 3.   And honestly the relationship with the Zoe character didn't do it for me.  He's a highly suspicious guy on the run and yet he goes out to dinner in a public restaurant and he and she bare their souls to each other??    That Zoe character just doesn't add anything to the show IMO!

One more observation, but what is the dumb thing Bridges does with his mouth?.  It's so distracting.   I am a big Jeff Brudges fan but this show did nothing for me.   

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@MamaWick   I tried watching it.   I just can't buy it.   I know I might be in the minority, but most of the time I was bored except for the violence or worrying about the dogs.

My DH read the book and loved it but he does not watch TV so I was asking him questions about it and he said they must have altered the novel because he didn't know what I was talking about.   I stopped watching after Episode 3.   And honestly the relationship with the Zoe character didn't do it for me.  He's a highly suspicious guy on the run and yet he goes out to dinner in a public restaurant and he and she bare their souls to each other??    That Zoe character just doesn't add anything to the show IMO!

One more observation, but what is the dumb thing Bridges does with his mouth?.  It's so distracting.   I am a big Jeff Brudges fan but this show did nothing for me.   

I'm feeling about the same way. But I'm wading it out until the end, hoping I'll get a grip on this show. For now it's a bit unrealistic and some of the characters are not believable nor are they impressionable. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@Teddixat 

That was my thought when he got hooked up with her in the first place.  This guy is so smart to have done all this stuff over the years, and he puts himself in probable jeopardy with this woman he just met?  I keep waiting to see if she is someone's plant--either to aid him or the opposite.

A minor point, but I'm glad he dropped the dogs off so I no longer have to worry about them!🤗

It's an 'okay' show, but it's another one that's filmed a lot in the dark and I can't see what's going on half the time.  It's also still a bit confusing to me, but then I'm old and can't see, hear, or comprehend like I used to.  I'll keep watching because it's still better than half the stuff I already watch.😆

Esteemed Contributor

If I didn't use CC, I wouldn't be able to understand. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@Teddixat 

That was my thought when he got hooked up with her in the first place.  This guy is so smart to have done all this stuff over the years, and he puts himself in probable jeopardy with this woman he just met?  I keep waiting to see if she is someone's plant--either to aid him or the opposite.

A minor point, but I'm glad he dropped the dogs off so I no longer have to worry about them!🤗

It's an 'okay' show, but it's another one that's filmed a lot in the dark and I can't see what's going on half the time.  It's also still a bit confusing to me, but then I'm old and can't see, hear, or comprehend like I used to.  I'll keep watching because it's still better than half the stuff I already watch.😆

@geezerette   I worried about the dogs through the first half of the shows.

When the hit man broke into Zoe's house, it looked like in the squirmish, the dog was hit with something hard and was lying on the ground.  I hated that.

I worried if they were being fed and watered. I was so relieved when he dropped them at the pet hotel so I could concentrate on the show.

As far as the Zoe character, I have to think that she is going to tie into the story in some way in the end.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I just finished the book, which was fantastic. The only things the screenwriters kept from the book:

1.  Dan Chase was hiding but not from CIA or FBI, nor was he a former agent of either.  He was indeed highly trained military intelligence.  

2.  He did have a daughter, Emily, who is nothing like the character in this series.  

3.  Zoe was on the run with him. 

4.  Best of all, he did have the dogs.

Those are truly the only things that were taken from the book to the screen.  I imagine the author, even though he was a consultant, must have been very unhappy with the screenplay.

I am not saying I don't like the series...I very much do.  I just like the book and that story better.

Funny thing , i don't see Jeff Bridges as The Old Man even though he is 73. maybe because as we age 73 doesn't seem old. Nothing to do with the show , just the title.

Esteemed Contributor

In the book, the old man was in his 60s

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

I just finished the book, which was fantastic. The only things the screenwriters kept from the book:

1.  Dan Chase was hiding but not from CIA or FBI, nor was he a former agent of either.  He was indeed highly trained military intelligence.  

2.  He did have a daughter, Emily, who is nothing like the character in this series.  

Those are truly the only things that were taken from the book to the screen.  I imagine the author, even though he was a consultant, must have been very unhappy with the screenplay.

I am not saying I don't like the series...I very much do.  I just like the book and that story better.

Funny thing , i don't see Jeff Bridges as The Old Man even though he is 73. maybe because as we age 73 doesn't seem old. Nothing to do with the show , just the title.

@MW in Iowa at the end of episode 5 I believe, Harper refered to the Joel Grey character as the old man when talking to Chase. So, maybe he is The Old Man.

Respected Contributor

I like the first couple of shows then I got bored especially with all back flashes of when they were young in that foreign country.  

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

@MW in Iowa at the end of episode 5 I believe, Harper refered to the Joel Grey character as the old man when talking to Chase. So, maybe he is The Old Man.

Thanks i missed that , he seems to have a lot of control.