Respected Contributor

I don't watch either of those shows but it does seem that more and more "regular" network programs are switching to a streaming service.  Yet, cable remains expensive and the prices never seem to decrease.  I was flipping thru channels the other night and came across Conan.  I don't watch it but he said he's leaving TBS and going to, I think HBO or HBO Max, something like that.  We have Disney Plus,  Bought into it very early on and paid a low price.  However, when they have new movies, you have to have Disney Plus PREMIUM or pay the extra money to watch.  I refuse to pay the extra money.  We'll wait till it's on the channel we already paid for or DVD.

Honored Contributor

@On It I think a lot of it has to do with the yearly contract negotiations between the content providers and the cable/satellite companies.  Every year there would be that crawl on the screen telling me I might lose such and such network if I didn't call whatever company that network was having contract negotiations with and tell them you don't want to lose the network.  Translation, call your cable/satellite companty and tell them to pay whatever it is the content provider is demanding.  

I, too, like my big ol TV, since I'm usually using my computer while I'm watching TV.  Plus, often the TV is just background noise and I'm not really actively watching.  I also like to channel surf sometimes, and streaming services don't allow that.  Channel surfing is often how I discover new shows to watch.

Honored Contributor

The best solution is to quit watching tv.  That's pretty much what we have done.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Every day I see tv shows being advertised as moving to some kind of streaming service or some such thing. All seem to be moving away from my cable network that I pay for. Now it's CBS? We are probably getting rid of cable and using something else.

I fear cable TV is going to be a thing of the past. Once again all of our eggs are being put in one basket--the internet. This move is being driven by the younger ones who watch videos, television programming or whatever on their computer or device screens. I prefer a big old television screen that I can allows me to see detail. However, I noticed my cable company is charging $33+ dollars a month for local programming. I can get those free using an antenna. The people who need cable and satellite are in areas where antenna reception is not an option. I just hope they are serviced despite the rapid change to streaming.

That's me.  And add decent internet to the list of things we don't have either.

Honored Contributor

We rarely watch any shows, news, etc on the national networks....so not a problem for us, but some things on cable are moving to streaming and that is very irritating.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The best solution is to quit watching tv.  That's pretty much what we have done.  

A few years ago that's what I would have done.  But now that I'm alone, I have my tv on most of the day and half the night.  So I pay.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We rarely watch any shows, news, etc on the national networks....so not a problem for us, but some things on cable are moving to streaming and that is very irritating.

It is very apparent that the most popular shows are being moved to streaming. I enjoy cable programming but avoid getting my news from any of the cable networks. They are opinion based rather than fact based with way too many experts appearing on news shows. I just want facts, and it seems that the network news are more straightforward than cable although I watch with a critical eye. I also enjoy knowing what is heppening in my hometown and state. I still strongly believe local programming is vital to public interests.

Trusted Contributor

I am so disappointed with this situation as many are. 

"SEAL Team" is one of my "must watch" shows .........................hoping I will be able to watch with On Demand as I do with "Younger" which made the same move last year.

I called Spectrum this week regarding this issue ~ not much of a response other than people want to use streaming.

I won't pay extra for a streaming service to watch on my phone!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@On It I think a lot of it has to do with the yearly contract negotiations between the content providers and the cable/satellite companies.  Every year there would be that crawl on the screen telling me I might lose such and such network if I didn't call whatever company that network was having contract negotiations with and tell them you don't want to lose the network.  Translation, call your cable/satellite companty and tell them to pay whatever it is the content provider is demanding.  

I, too, like my big ol TV, since I'm usually using my computer while I'm watching TV.  Plus, often the TV is just background noise and I'm not really actively watching.  I also like to channel surf sometimes, and streaming services don't allow that.  Channel surfing is often how I discover new shows to watch.

@Icegoddess

Most networks or streaming services have YouTube channels where you can get notifications for new content. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  I'm pretty much there with you... First, we had cable more or less replacing antennas and networks and now we see antennas making a comeback of sorts but cable and networks essentially being replaced by streaming... Sorry, not interested in subscribing to this for that and to that for the other thing... It's ridiculous, too costly and while I get it that one can stream to their smart TV, I have absolutely no interest in being regularly 'entertained' via a laptop or telephone screen... What all this has pretty much meant to me is giving up on most all of these options and doing a whole lot more reading... For the most part, when the TV is on at my house, it's for background noise... The explosion, too, in the number of extremely annoying commercials has also led to the TV being set to very low volume or to 'mute' part of the time... One wonders when things might come full circle with networks offering quality programming with minimal interruptions, and sadly one assumes they never will...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...