Respected Contributor

Jeannie Epper, Professional Stunt Woman

[ Edited ]

You may not know her name, but you've likely seen her work.

Jeannie Epper, one of the industry's leading stuntwoman, passed at age 83.

She is best known in TV as the stuntwoman for Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and also performed stunts on The Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels.

She worked in The Big Valley for both female stars ( horseback riding was one of her strengths), and you probably saw her fighting in Dynasty, stunting for Alexis and Crystal!

Her important film work includes stunting for Kathleen Turner in "Romancing the Stone."

Both parents worked as stunt performers, her father at Warners in the 1930s and 1940s.  She started performing stunts professionally at age 9!

Her children also followed in her career. 

Here she is with Lynda Carter and receiving a stunt professional award.

1000003298.jpg1000003300.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Jeannie Epper, Professional Stunt Woman

From Lynda Carter:

"I have a lot to say about Jeannie Epper.  Most of all, I loved her.

I always felt that we understood and appreciated one another. After all, it was the 70s. We were united in the way that women had to be in order to thrive in a man’s world, through mutual respect, intellect and collaboration. Jeannie was a vanguard who paved the way for all other stuntwomen who came after.

Just as Diana was Wonder Woman, Jeannie Epper was also a Wonder Woman. She is so beautiful to me. Jeannie, I will miss you."

Respected Contributor

I didn't know this:  in the early days of television, men actually stunt doubled for female stars.  In an interview Jeannie said:

“It wasn’t until sexy ladies like Linda Evans and Lynda Carter said we didn’t want hairy-legged boys doubling for us anymore.   They said, ‘These girls are just as good as the guys, only they have shaved legs and don’t have hairy armpits.’”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes 

Thanks for sharing this information. Interesting.