Esteemed Contributor

Was watching a bit of the 1933 Dinner at Eight this morning.  It is one of my favorite Jean Harlow movies.  If you have never seen it, I highly recommend watching.

Such a great cast including Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow, Lionel and John Barrymore, Billie Burke and many others.

I didn't realize she died of kidney failure in 1937 at 27!  Had a somewhat tragic life with several marriages. 

Many memorable scenes, but the final one with Harlow and Dressler takes the cake:

Harlow tells Dressler, as they both go into dinner, "I've been reading a book. It's a nutty kind of a book. The man says that machinery will take the place of every profession." And Dressler looks her up and down, mostly down, and chirps: "Well, my dear, that's something you should never worry about." 

I never get tired of the dialogue between Harlow and Beery.  At one point, he calls her a "poisonous little rattlesnake."  She gives as good as she gets.  Just perfection.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Was watching a bit of the 1933 Dinner at Eight this morning.  It is one of my favorite Jean Harlow movies.  If you have never seen it, I highly recommend watching.

Such a great cast including Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow, Lionel and John Barrymore, Billie Burke and many others.

I didn't realize she died of kidney failure in 1937 at 27!  Had a somewhat tragic life with several marriages. 

Many memorable scenes, but the final one with Harlow and Dressler takes the cake:

Harlow tells Dressler, as they both go into dinner, "I've been reading a book. It's a nutty kind of a book. The man says that machinery will take the place of every profession." And Dressler looks her up and down, mostly down, and chirps: "Well, my dear, that's something you should never worry about." 

I never get tired of the dialogue between Harlow and Beery.  At one point, he calls her a "poisonous little rattlesnake."  She gives as good as she gets.  Just perfection.

@Witchy Woman   It was said that she died of kidney failure after her husband viciously kicked her in the kidneys.  He killed himself.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman Jean Harlow was something else. Too bad she died young. I don't know if you saw the movie Harlow (1965) starring Carroll Baker, it was a very loose version of her life, to say the least. I digress, I loved the opening music (Neil Hefty) to the movie and the theme is played throughout the movie. It's called Lonely Girl. I have it as my ring tone on my cell. It's pretty and apropos. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

@Coquille 

I'll have to try to see it.  Jean H. was one of a kind....loved her brashness.

Will listen for the music!

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl 

So sad.....so young, and so much trouble.  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Coquille 

I'll have to try to see it.  Jean H. was one of a kind....loved her brashness.

Will listen for the music!

@Witchy Woman  If it comes on, I'll let you know. It's rarely on.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

I've read her first husband killed himself and while they were married he wasn't actually even divorced from his first wife.

Honored Contributor
Lots of stories about Harlow’s life. There is suspicion that her first husband did not kill himself and that the suicide was a cover-up created by the movie studio. He was involved in some shady mob related business dealings.
As for Harlow’s death due to kidney failure she had scarlet fever as a child and prior to her death had multiple recent bout with the flu. It’s entirely possible that she died of kindey failure from glomerulonephritis, an adult complication from childhood scarlet fever. She was horribly misdiagnosed as having gallbladder problems. She was engaged to William Powell at the time of her death and he devastated when she died. Her last film was Saratoga(?) with Clark Gable. She was in the middle of filming when she fell ill. The film was finished with a stand-in.
Respected Contributor

I've seen both "Harlow" biopics.  The other starred Carol Linley.  Also saw her profiled on "Biography."  They didn't mention she was murdered.  "Biography" said she died from Nephritis. 

William Powell gave her that fabulous ring.