Respected Contributor

Re: Jane Fonda Five Acts HBO

Fonda is a great actress, but as a person I'll refrain from opining!  

Honored Contributor

I watched this last night.  Although I dislike Fonda from what she did back in the Viet Nam era, I did like the documentary.  I just loved her son, Troy.  He was very perceptive and also hilarious describing his childhood and his parents, esp. when he said that his first 13 birthday parties were fundraisers [for Fonda's causes/activism].   He had quite an unusual upbringing and yet doesn't seem to resent it and seems to have dealt with it and has a good sense of humor about it now.  He looked a lot like Tom Hayden only much handsomer.

Jane must really be on the outs with her daughter, whom I didn't see appear in this doc except in photos.  Jane said she wished she had been a better mother to her and is "working" on it now.  But i did wonder why Vanessa (from husband Vadim) didn't participate in the dcoumentary like Troy did.

Gosh, Tom Hayden didn't age well (he's deceased now I believe).  And it was interesting to see the short interview with Ted Turner, who clearly didn't want the divorce from Jane and who still seems to miss her.  (Hey, Ted, if you are lonely, call me! Smiley Happy )

Esteemed Contributor

I never watch any movie  she's in and never will!   She being an enemy sympathizer and no matter how many times in interviews she's denied that or tried to explain it away I don't don't beileve her and don't buy it .  My family lost a much loved person in that war😡 

Honored Contributor

I finally ended up watching this last night and enjoyed it very much!  She was very honest and didn't shy away from any subject.  It was good hearing about pretty much all of her life and how different things affected different parts of her life (as does with all of us) and I appreciated her honesty.

As for the part about 40+ years ago that still sticks in the craw of some folks, she has bent over backwards apologizing about that numerous times and not only that, it was good to understand more of the background and intent there.   Also, the facts that seem to get in the way for some who have twisted it into something it never was.   She is a good person.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I finally ended up watching this last night and enjoyed it very much!  She was very honest and didn't shy away from any subject.  It was good hearing about pretty much all of her life and how different things affected different parts of her life (as does with all of us) and I appreciated her honesty.

As for the part about 40+ years ago that still sticks in the craw of some folks, she has bent over backwards apologizing about that numerous times and not only that, it was good to understand more of the background and intent there.   Also, the facts that seem to get in the way for some who have twisted it into something it never was.   She is a good person.

@chickenbutt  Your first paragraph is a very good description of the documentary.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't know about this bending over backwards,  yes she apologized ,  but it was never  heartfelt , not in my opinion.  I feel the apology was to appease people that resented her and honestly feel it was a making money decision,  doing movies etc.  if people hate you they wont go and see your movies....she knows that,  simple as that.  I don't want to hear her e plain why she did what she did ,  she did it and she knew exactly what she was doing .