Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

To follow on from a mention in the Grantchester thread -

James Norton and Tessa Peake-Jones (Mrs. Maguire) made a film together that's about as different from Grantchester as you can imagine. It's a British film and hasn't been available to see in the US, but it's now on Amazon, and free to watch with Prime Video (otherwise I think it was $2).

It's not a brilliant film, but it is interesting for fans of Grantchester. Tessa is pretty much the lead in the film and I loved her role. There is another actress who is the second lead whom I've seen before on UK TV whom I also like, Josie Lawrence. She was in the UK version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, which was on BBCA I think.

James...James...is the "villain" of the piece in that he plays a shallow jerk who thinks s*x is the answer to everything.

The film (Bonobo) is about a "s*x commune Tessa's daughter has gone to, Tessa's attempt to retrieve her, the developing relationship with the woman who founded the commune, and everyone but James realizing that s*x is not the answer to everything.

Fun for: Seeing Mrs Maguire in a totally different role, and seeing 95% of all of James Norton, whose body is just as gorgeous as you see in Grantchester, but you see more of it.

But not to watch if depictions of "free love" and nudity offend you or same-s*x relationships offend you. It's only shown in passing, nothing heavy duty.

Glad I didn't pay for it, but it was a fun way to christen streaming to my new smart TV.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: James Norton fans - Bonobo

If you want to see James Norton in something totally different,  see Happy Valley.  It is either on Netflix or Amazon.  He plays a villain.  Happy Valley is a very good series.

Honored Contributor

@culebra wrote:

If you want to see James Norton in something totally different,  see Happy Valley.  It is either on Netflix or Amazon.  He plays a villain.  Happy Valley is a very good series.

I'm aware of Happy Valley, but it's not my kind of thing to watch. And, because I appreciate JN as Sydney so much, I kind of don't want to see him in such a role. But the critics and viewers say he was excellent in it.

There's also War and Peace, and in the future, McMafia, filming recently/now for the BBC which we'll get eventually. It's Godfather-ish, with JN playing an Al Pacino type of role - drawn in against his will.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde Not much offends me.  I won't watch anything where an animal gets hurt but it doesn't bother me about people (I don't like chain saw cut offs, etc) but anyway, I probably wouldn't watch it mainly because those shows usually bore me.

I like action shows and shows that make me think even though 1/2 of the time I have to call my daughter to explain things.