Honored Contributor

James Mason, "Bigger Than Life" Fox Movie Channel 11:20 a.m. Eastern

11:20 a.m. Eastern, Fox Movie Channel--  "Bigger Than Life"   Interesting portrait of a school teacher unexpectedly wracked by drug addiction, by the flamboyant director Nicholas Ray ("In a Lonely Place",  "Johnny Guitar",  "Rebel Without a Cause")

James Mason is a sweet guy, devoted husband (to the always appealing Barbara Rush), father, and respected teacher.  He develops a crippling disease that only seems to respond to cortisone.  The cortisone seemingly restores his health, but he unwittingly becomes addicted to it with disastrous, "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" consequences.

Side note:  I didn't even know you could become addicted to cortisone?

This movie rocked the critical world, with French critics especially falling in love with it as a "masterpiece" of a social expose, etc.  I think some ot those who loved it saw it through a left wing critical lens, believing it to be an indictment of supposedly sterile, Fifties, suburban America. (?)  What a cliche! 

But I find it interesting, just on a "personal struggle" level, and the predicament that a well-meaning individual encounters and deals with.  Politics, dispensable!   Also stars a youngish Walter Matthau as a family friend.

Honored Contributor

Re: James Mason, "Bigger Than Life" Fox Movie Channel 11:20 a.m. Eastern

Could not find it on our Fox Movie Channel-Direct TV channel 258. We really want to see this.

DH says yes cortisone can be addictive. There ia a Mannix (first season) where Joe Campanella becomes addicted to this drug.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

Could not find it on our Fox Movie Channel-Direct TV channel 258. We really want to see this.

DH says yes cortisone can be addictive. There ia a Mannix (first season) where Joe Campanella becomes addicted to this drug.

Didn’t know about the cortisone addiction either.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @Group 5 minus 1-- thanks for info.  Wow, I love "Mannix" and had forgotten that episode.

So sorry you can't find "Bigger Than Life" on Fox Movie Channel. I also get it on 258 Direct TV.  I'm looking at my guide right now, and it is on there.  Can you find "How Green Was My Valley" at 9:20 a.m.?  That is the movie right before "Bigger Than Life"?

This is such a shame-- you must not miss it if you want to see it!  I wonder if calling Direct TV would help?

Honored Contributor

Thankx-finally found it!

Respected Contributor

James Mason always gives an engrossing performance. Interesting movie. Nicholas Ray definitely had a unique vision.

Honored Contributor

Just finished watching it. Wanted DH to see it from a professional standpoint. It is very well done,but it ends w/ a whimper not a bang. Sorry Robert Frost!

On another note: did not know that that channel was available and NO COMMERCIALS!

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Darn, I don’t get Fox Movie ChannelWoman Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

For those interested, the movie's on youtube.

I hadn't heard of it before.

I do like Barbara Rush.

Not a fan of James Mason, though.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

For those interested, the movie's on youtube.

I hadn't heard of it before.

I do like Barbara Rush.

Not a fan of James Mason, though.

@YorkieonmyPillow. I thought I was the only one that didn't like James Mason. He seems so slimey to me. I tried to watch many of his movies but never liked any of them because of him. He might be a good actor but personally, not for me.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.