Honored Contributor

Re: James Drury, the Virginian

Oh, yes, James Drury was a quintessential Western hero in "The Virgininian"--  strong, masculine persona, principled man of action, very appealing.  RIP.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember watching the show with my Dad when I was around 9 or 10.   Very handsome.  May he rest in peace

Honored Contributor

I remember about a year ago I happened to watch a few episodes on one of the oldies TV stations and again thought how handsome Drury was. So I Googled him and saw him in more contemporary times. He had aged very well -still handsome- but now an old man. Boy it sure hits home then just how long ago we were watching those 1960s shows, and just how much time has gone by: meaning, I too had aged that amount of time! 😱 Although I'm younger than Drury it was still a big dose of reality.
Honored Contributor

So many of us have memories of those western cowboys that we loved,that this new generation has missed out on seeing the orginial shows when we did in black and white.

Ah the memories of James DuryHeart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

According to the articles I read online, he died of natural causes.

The Virginian ran for 9 years starting in 1962 and was the 3rd longest running western behind Bonanza and Gunsmoke. Drury and Doug McClure appeared in all 249 episodes. The shows were 90 min long.
Source: Variety
Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I  watch him every morning on the western channel. He's very handsome.

Super Contributor

I love watching the reruns .....have been doing that for a long time...but now more then ever... I search out old tv shows....to get away from reality...at this time of this pandemic that we are all experiencing.....