Honored Contributor

I liked how they showed the 'yellow light' bit from Taxi.   It was so long ago that I've pretty much forgotten it all but that was hilarious.   

I also loved all the Will & Grace bits they showed.  Oh my, that was one wonderfully funny and dear show from beginning to end.

Oh, and of course Frasier is another one of my dearest favs.  I loved the Niles character best of all.  He was so funny.   I'll never forget the 'bag of flour baby' bit in one episode about having kids.

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember his Dad, Abe Burrows. He was heavy set, bald and often on TV in the 50's and 60's. He was a very talented writer of plays, TV, etc and made a wonderful panelist on game shows and talk shows. James spoke very highly of him last night.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  I'm pretty sure I've seen Abe Burrows on the Buzzr Channel when they show game shows from the early '60s.  He was a panelist.

Valued Contributor

I think that all of the shows were (are) classics now, of course. So there is no knocking of the original series. And the casts were obviously magical in each series - so James Burrows had a knack for both great creating and thoroughly understanding his characters.

And its always fun to see the "How do they look NOW" sort of cast reunion gatherings. Most of them held up pretty well over the decades.

THAT all said...I thought that the tribute show was a bit too canned for my liking. It could have been better or felt more spontaneous. It obviously was a longer night than there was air time and the heavy editing showed. I think the producers could have done a better job not making it feel so spliced together. But there was a lot of material to cover...and they seemed to give the "Friends" cast way too much time in comparison to others. But at least Lisa Kudo (my fav from that series) laid it out as it was by making Burrows character dynamics of that show correlate to the successful character mix which was the previous "TAXI". Of all the series, "Friends", while wildly successful was the least creative of his shows. It was obviously crafted to be a "success" in ways not quite previously so obvious in his earlier works.

So while it was fun, I have to admit I watched part of the equally canned 60th Anniversary of Disneyland show on ABC and the entirety of the well-acted and entertainingly lovely but soap operatic drivel which was the 2nd to the last "Downton Abbey" episode on PBS.

But I guess as long as someone was watching something, that's all that t.v. really cares about in the end. lol