Esteemed Contributor

Ja'Net Dubois has passed

[ Edited ]

I so enjoyed her work.  May she rest in peace.  ❤️

from Fox News Entertainment:

Ja'Net Dubois, one of the stars from the TV series "Good Times" has died.

Police in Glendale, Calif., said they received a report about the DuBois' death late Monday. She appeared to have died of natural causes and no investigation is ongoing, police Sgt. Dan Stubbs said. No additional details, including her age, were immediately available.

BernNadette Stanis, who played Thelma Evans Anderson on “Good Times,” said she learned of DuBois’ death Tuesday from the actress’ daughter. Stanis said DuBois appeared to be in good health and they had appeared at a signing event two weeks ago. She noted that DuBois kept to herself and no one knew exactly how old she was.

DuBois had a prolific career beyond the 1970s hit “Good Times,” winning two Emmy Awards for her voice work on the WB series “The PJs.” She also composed and sang the theme song for “The Jeffersons." DuBois’ song “Movin’ on Up” provided a joyous intro to “The Jeffersons” during the show’s 10-season run.

On "Good Times," DuBois’ Willona Woods was the single, sexy neighbor and best friend to star Esther Rolle’s Florida Evans. Though the comedy had plenty of one-liners, DuBois’ appearances gave an extra dose of comedic relief.

Portrait of the cast of the television show 'Good Times,' Los Angeles, California, August 5, 1977. Pictured are, front row, American actresses Esther Rolle (1920 - 1998) (left) and BernNadette Stanis; back row, from left, American actors Jimmie Walker, Ja'net DuBois, and Ralph Carter. 

DuBois showed off more of her dramatic skills when a young Janet Jackson joined the show as the abused child Penny; DuBois’ character would go on to adopt Penny, and the storyline also forged a long, close relationship with Jackson, who would go on to become a multiplatinum superstar; she cast DuBois as her mother in her 1986 “Control” video.

DuBois’ career started in theater, where she appeared in Broadway productions of “Golden Boy” and “A Raisin in the Sun,” according to a biography on her website. A performance in “The Hot l Baltimore” in Los Angeles caught the eye of Norman Lear, who developed “Good Times” and “The Jeffersons.”

Her film credits included 1970’s “Diary of a Mad Housewife,” “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka” and “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”

She was credited in numerous other films as varied as “Basic Instinct,” “Next Friday” and “Tropic Thunder,” which included “Movin’ on Up.”

Respected Contributor

Re: Ja'Net Dubois has passed

I absolutely LOVED her.

She was an outstanding beauty, to my mind her GIANT smile and round face was one of the prettiest I'd seen on TV, hands down.

I'm sorry to see her pass on, but glad I had the chance to be thoroughly entertained by this talented and beautiful soul.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan Thank you for posting this. Enjoyed her very much

on Good Times. Loved her laugh.

I did not know that Janet Jackson put Ja' Net in the Control video.

I have to check it out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@wildcat fan Thank you for posting this. Enjoyed her very much

on Good Times. Loved her laugh.

I did not know that Janet Jackson put Ja' Net in the Control video.

I have to check it out. 

@threecees I didn't remember that part of the Control video either, so I just looked it up on YouTube.  It's just over 9 minutes, and Dubois is in the opening scene.  Seems like I always saw an edited version of the video.  

Honored Contributor

She was such an exuberant splash of fun on "Good Times".   I never knew she was also a talented songwriter, singer and dancer.  Her rollicking "Movin' On Up" song perfectly set the stage for the upwardly mobile Jeffersons.

RIP multitalented Ja'Net DuBois.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
74 years
1945–2020

Ja'net Dubois at the "Media" Movie Premiere in Los Angeles on Feb. 15, 2017. Credit: Koi Sojer/Snap'N U Photos/MediaPunch /IPX
Honored Contributor

R.I.P.

R.I.P.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember watching those Good Times episodes with Penny (Janet Jackson) and her biological mother for the first time.  I cried.  With Penny being abused and Willona coming to her rescue, it seemed so realistic to me.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked her character on Good Times.  One of my favorite episodes is a Christmas one where Janet Jackson's character, Penny, and her mom, Willona, go Christmas shopping together and she wants to buy this pretty necklace for her mom. Unfortunately, a pick pocketer purposely bumps into Penny as she's at the jewelry counter and steals Penny's wallet and she she can't pay for the necklace.  She wants the necklace for her mom so badly that she winds up taking it when the salesperson isn't looking.  It's a touching episode because Willona's adoption of Penny is in jeopardy when the adoption agency comes to visit and Willona fears losing Penny.  

Honored Contributor

DuBois was working on Good Times at CBS Television City when she bumped into series producer Norman Lear. As she later recalled t oJet Magazine, she told her boss she was pleased with her success but was aching to branch out, to show off her other skills. Lear suggested she work on the theme song to his upcoming series The Jeffersons. DuBois talked with her mother about the family's dream of moving on up in the world. "I moved my whole family," DuBois said. "I bought [my mom] a house, bought her a mink coat. I did everything, retired her. I did everything I ever promised her." The song would later become the closing track to her debut solo album, 1980's Queen of the Highway.

Farewell and thank you Ms DuBois.

Image result for flickering candle gif

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.