Honored Contributor

JOSEPH COTTEN MARATHON WEDNESDAY FROM 8:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I don't quite understand a Joseph Cotten festival that doesn't include "Since You Went Away",  "The Third Man" or his tour de force "Shadow of a Doubt".

Ah well.  At least "Gaslight" comes on at 1:30 p.m. Eastern, and "The Magnificent Ambersons" at 6:30 p.m. Eastern.  Oh, and since those are aired (almost too) frequently, the lesser-seen "Walk Softly, Stranger" at 5:00 p.m. Eastern might be of more interest...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JOSEPH COTTEN MARATHON WEDNESDAY FROM 8:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Good to read he's being featured. It always means those films will make the rounds and soon be available to those of us using over the air tv broadcasts.

But how can they not include Shadow of a Doubt?!

Trusted Contributor

Aww, Shadow Of A Doubt is my favorite movie of his.  

Spoiler
I’m always sad when they hint at the reason that he became a sociopath.

Honored Contributor

I was reading about Joseph Cotten and saw that he was on Broadway with Katherine Hepburn in the Philadelphia Story.

He also appeared on Broadway in Sabrina Fair (the movie Sabrina was based on it).

Wonder how the movies would have been with him starring in them.

Valued Contributor

Although he glides under the radar of my favorite actors, there are several of his movies that I can enjoy with repeat watchings.

Aside from "Shadow of a Doubt," I really liked him in "I'll Be Seeing You," with Ginger Rogers (and Shirley Temple). Ginger Rogers was so good in both dramatic and comedic roles, as well as the genre for which she is most associated.

Honored Contributor

This may be a little OT but he did some GREAT Alfred Hitchcocks!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Portrait of Jennie and Love Letters, both with Jennifer Jones are other favorites!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I was reading about Joseph Cotten and saw that he was on Broadway with Katherine Hepburn in the Philadelphia Story.

He also appeared on Broadway in Sabrina Fair (the movie Sabrina was based on it).

---

My first reaction to the above is "yikes!, I can't imagine him in these movies," since I love those two films as cast.

I am going to guess that he played the Cary Grant and Bogart roles, respectively.

Esteemed Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

---

My first reaction to the above is "yikes!, I can't imagine him in these movies," since I love those two films as casted.

I am going to guess that he played the Cary Grant and Bogart roles, respectively.

Yes.

He created/ "fleshed out" the roles that Grant and Bogart later played on film.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lrmuffin,  I love your "spoiler" comment.  That little hint in the film goes by rather quickly, but it is put there to give us yet another clue to his persona...and you are right, it is sad.   I hardly ever hear anyone bring that up.  Good job!