Honored Contributor

Re: JOEL MCCREA "FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT" WEDNESDAY 4:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, what a shame about Joel McCrea's son, Jody, @Alison Wonderland .  I hadn't heard that before.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline  Basserman played Sergei Ratov in "The Red Shoes." He's the character that shows Lermontov the sketch for the dress for the Red Shoes ballet. I think his character was in charge of design for Lermontov.

Basserman was born in 1867 in Germany and didn't come to America until 1939 - IMDb has a good write-up about him - that's where I read he had to learn his lines phonetically.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, what a shame about Joel McCrea's son, Jody, @Alison Wonderland .  I hadn't heard that before.

It's always a shame when a guy turns out to be like that, isn't it, @Oznell?

Honored Contributor

Yeah, true, @Alison Wonderland .

Honored Contributor

Fascinating, @cimeranrose -- isn't it amazing to get your head around the fact that Besserman was born in 1867.  But then, he does seem ancient in the film!  And he would only have been, what 73?  Young by today's standards (if my wobbly math hasn't failed me!)

Honored Contributor

Great movie!  One of those that you can't take your eyes off of even though you've seen it before.

What was the name of that movie where Lorraine Day was getting married but her ex husband was trying to warn to fiancé that she had mental problems from childhood and she kept stealing things but forgot she stole it.  It was very good....they don't repeat it as often as others.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I was thinking of that one too, @Mmsfoxxie  !  Wasn't it "The Locket"?   A very interesting film noir, in which she was successfully cast "against type".....

Honored Contributor

'The Locket'!  @Oznell , that's the one!  With Bob (Robert) Cummings, I believe.  I'm going to google the cast.  Thank you!!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doggone it, I happened upon this movie during the afternoon but had to step away.  Foolishly, I thought I did not need to record the remainder, thinking I'd "be right back." 

Mistake.   I was fortunate to have caught the "umbrella scene," and I thought this overwhelming glut of umbrellas must be of some import in the annals of cinematography.  From a post above, I understand that there is some validity to this thought. I did leave off at the windmills, after the police arrived.

But here is what I noticed -- for the first time -- when I caught Joel McCrea with a full-faced smile throughtout the movie segments that I viewed:  He resembles Tom Brady, to some degree.  No, they are not deadringers for one another, but they share some physical similarities with their high cheekbones, jawlines and the way they smile.  See photos below to see if you behold what I behold.  This is a fun observation.

Image result for photos of joel mccrea

Joel McCrea

141st Kentucky Derby - General Atmosphere : News Photo

Tom Brady and Friend

Honored Contributor

Agreed, it is a fun observation, observant @golding76 --  I see it also in those two photos!