Honored Contributor

JOEL MCCREA, ALL WEDNESDAY, ON TCM

best-pictures-of-joel-mccrea.jpg

Adorable, charming, quintessentially American, Joel McCrea!   He's a favorite of mine, love his seemingly artless (but it isn't) boyishness,  and heroic qualities.

Schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=PST&sdate=2019-08-21

6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The Most Dangerous Game".   Joel McCrea, Fay Wray,  Leslie Banks

Youthful couple (McCrea and Wray) shipwrecked on an island owned by a mysterious count, learn that he wants to hunt them and add them to his trophy room. I love McCrea's resourcefulness and cunning against the evil count.

6345151_f520.jpg

8:45 a.m. Eastern--  "Gambling Lady".    Joel McCrea,  Barbara Stanwyck. 

Sight unseen, but two like Stanwyck and McCrea in an odd couple pairing of a rich boy and a professional gambler, what could be better?

10:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The Richest Girl in the World".    Joel McCrea, Fay Wray, Miriam Hopkins, Reginald Denny

Frothy, romantic tale of rich girl pretending to be what she's not, and the guy who falls for her.   Joel is irresistable!

6:30 p.m. Eastern-- "The Palm Beach Story".   Joel McCrea, Claudette Colbert, Rudy Vallee, Mary Astor

Peerless, sophisticated marital comedy both written and directed by legendary Preston Sturges, who was extremely fortunate to have Colbert and McCrea for his leads.

9:45 p.m. Eastern  "The More the Merrier".   McCrea, Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn.    We've discussed this "housing shortage" comedy/romance at length.  Suffice to say, if you have not seen, it's worth your time!

giphy.gifAAAkcSs.img.jpeg

4:15 a.m. Eastern. "Stars In My Crown".   Joel McCrea, Ellen Drew, Dean Stockwell

Another sight unseen, but this is a critical favorite about an upright, humane minister and wife in 19th century America.

Some of the classic westerns McCrea did look really good too, especially "Ride the High Country" with Randolph Scott and Mariette Hartley at 2:15 a.m. Eastern.

6345154_f520.jpgThese pictures don't necessarily correspond to the films under discussion.  I just never tire of Joel McCrea! 

Honored Contributor

Re: JOEL MCCREA, ALL WEDNESDAY, ON TCM

Thank you! I enjoy watching him AND listening to him too!

I had gone through the TCM website and put reminders on his movies. But somehow all reminders go into my spam folder. I would not want to have missed Joel McCrea. Thank you for reminding me.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you mentioned "listening to him" too, @drizzellla.  Reminded me that one of the many, many reasons I like McCrea, is his resonant voice.  Amazing how much a part an actor or actress's voice plays in their overall appeal...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonderful line up for Joel McCrea! My absolute favorite is "The More The Merrier"!

I am a huge Jean Arthur fan and also Charles Coburn received the Best Supporting Actor award for this movie.....and he started acting at a very late age in movies, but had longtime acting skills in plays.  Joel McCrea is just added icing to the cake on this one! TMTM is a terrific movie, and I cannot recommend it enough! I bought the dvd so I would always have it to watch. Please, don't miss this one today! 

Found this quote regarding The More The Merrier from Variety at the time of release:
 “A sparkling and effervescing piece of entertainment, The More the Merrier, is one of the most spontaneous farce-comedies of the wartime era. Although Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea carry the romantic interest, Charles Coburn walks off with the honors.”

Trust me on this one! 

Honored Contributor

Just caught the end of Bed of Roses. Now I wish I caught the entire movie. Joel McCrea looked rather young. You could see why the movie studios liked him. He came across so well on the screen, he wasn't just a pretty face. He could do it all comedy, drama and westerns.

I can tell I am not getting much done today.

Regular Contributor

The More the Merrier is my favorite too.  Love Jean Arthur.  Especially like the scene of their flirtatious dance down the street as they play with her cape....she takes it off, he puts in on. No words necessary.  Beautiful scene!!

Honored Contributor

Irreplaceable Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea did have terrific chemistry in that film......

Trying to think of someone who COULDN"T work up a little chemistry with Joel, ha...

Respected Contributor

He is my favorite. Love his movies. Never tire of watching him. His voice, his mannerisms and his charming quality. The man lived his life dignity. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Catiele,,  I know why I have always felt an affinity for you!  You are so right in every aspect, and that was so well put, about Joel McCrea!

There's such a bedrock honesty about him, and naturalness as an actor.  But when I think of him, I think of him not in a theatrical setting, so much, but working hard on his beloved ranch in rural California.  Good guy!

Respected Contributor

Oh Oznell I have to tell you this. I was on the Home site and they mentioned a catalog. Went to the site and they had a sign for the front door. It said Ring the doorbell and win a puppy. Son and family have a new puppy. She is unbelievable. Just does not stop. She is training them! Just maybe I will order it!!!!!