Respected Contributor

Yes I caught that "he didn't ring in" a few times the last few times he's been on. I told DH that I like James even MORE because he let the other contestants answer a few low amount questions so they could keep playing. A true GENTLEMAN! I saw him not ring in on 2 questions (that I know he knew the answer) to let one lady try and get to final Jeopardy. Team James all the way....break the bank James!

Honored Contributor

I noticed but it had to be James decision alone. The producers, or anyone involved with the show, would not be permitted to suggest it. That would open them up to speculation, accusations that the show is fixed.

Respected Contributor

When Alex steps down, James would make a good replacement ..........

Esteemed Contributor

James is amazing. His knowledge and speed are mind-boggling. As a long-time Jeopardy fan, I was noticing a decline in knowledge on the part of some contestants over the past couple of years. When I knew more than they did I was disappointed. Not so with James. He leaves everyone else in the dust. The only way he’ll lose is if he bids too much on a question he happens to miss. Meanwhile, I am happy that with all Alex is going through, he is seeing one of the best players in the history of the game.

Respected Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I like that idea!

Trusted Contributor

HUGE sign of relief!  I would have been heartbroken if James lost today.  I want to at least see him beat Jennings' record.  I didn't like the other guy anyhow.  No particular reason lol.

But something was definitely up.  I couldn't believe James didn't know all those answers the first round especially.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Wow, it was touch and go there!! That challenger was tooo good.

I would bet James knew the answers. The challenger was great with the buzzer, buzzing in first quite often. He had the same technique as James, keeping his hands below deck.

The secret, besides being sharp and smart, is in buzzing in effectively. The second Alex finishes reading the answer, a staff member activates a switch to allow the players to buzz in. As the switch is activated, a blue "enable" border lights up around the answer tile, but if they buzz in too soon, there is a 1/4 second where the player who buzzes in too soon gets locked out.

James said he did the online test every year (13 times) and had two auditions before he got invited to play. He practiced with a buzzer he made out of a mechanical pencil wrapped with masking tape.

Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

The heightened publicity for the show I'm sure is bringing in a lot of new viewers.  This is a good thing.

Did anyone else notice upon James' return that he held back quite a few times even on the easier questions (those that even I knew the answer to)?  I will bet the producers asked him to do that to bring him down to answering 95% of the questions rather than his usual 99.9% so that there would be at least a tiny bit of competition.  He just stood there and he had to have known the answers to those questions.

You know-I was thinking the SAME thing-I really hope there is no manipulation on the show's part-this is probably a mixed blessing for them.

Honored Contributor

Last night he looked like a deer in headlights when he stopped answering any questions. It was almost like something went wrong with something. He was being interviewed by Alex when he suddenly started to make a strange face and looked like he was being shocked by something.

With all the game show issues over the years, I stay reserved on how much he actually knows. He claims to have little education and says he missed class as often as possible. He isn't good in one particular catagory and he seems to know ahead of time what the final answer will be so he wagers a lot of money. Let's just say I am not too sure about him and leave it at that.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Danky wrote:

I like that idea!

Alex said that he would like Ryan Seacrest to succeed him on "Live with Kelly and Ryan."