Respected Contributor

Re: JEOPARDY WITH LEVAR BURTON STARTS 7/26

@Bridgegal wrote:

I didn't think he was any better today.  I don't care for him as host at all, although there were others who did worse.

No, I didn't think so either.  Not sure I'll bother watching the rest of the week. 

I think he is at the top of the worst guest host they've had yet.

I don't care for the guy who is winning either.  Thanks to some nice bets and getting lucky with the daily doubles, he just doesn't seem all that smart to me. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I'm miffed as to why so many thought he would be the perfect host for Jeopardy. What was it about him?

Respected Contributor

I'm enjoying the different guest host. I think it's interesting to see how they do. Some are natural host with "game show" timing. Some are not. I also find it interesting to hear the host's different charities and how much they receive. 

Honored Contributor

So far, not one host has chosen a charity that benefits animals: wild, farm, or pet. Burton chose a reading charity, that, if for no other reason, turned me off on him.

Respected Contributor

I think he's awful - the worst of the bunch.  And he's slow - they aren't clearing the board.

Dr. Gupta has been my favorite too.  And Anderson Cooper second.

But I predict Mike Richards will be the permanent host.  He's already a producer.

I don't mind Matt going for the higher money or jumping around or shortening the categories.  I mind how he answers though.  He always says "what is" even when "who is" is appropriate.  And he talks so low - no wonder Levar didn't hear him give the correct answer  Noriega.  

Honored Contributor

DH and I watch "Jeopardy" every night, regardless of whom is hosting.  But we're finding LeVar Burton very hard to watch.

We hoped he'd have improved tonight and okay, he toned it down a bit, but not enough.  We cringed at his shouting "YES!"  or "THAT'S CORRECT!".  Or even the occasional "NO!"  I was covering my ears and we both breathed a sigh of relief at the end.

I loved him in "Star Trek", but he's not cut out to be a "Jeopardy" host.  I can't imagine, even in his early days, Alex Trebek shouting like that.  It's not "Family Feud" or "The Price is Right", after all.  His style is very distracting.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm miffed as to why so many thought he would be the perfect host for Jeopardy. What was it about him?

@occasionalrain 

In one of his interviews he said he felt he was "meant" to host Jeopardy.   He may really want the gig, but I don't think he's the right choice.  

Respected Contributor

Whether the board is cleared is not solely dependent on the host but is often the behavior of the contestants. Some hesitant before choosing a category or amount. Some are slow with responses. Additional time is spent each time a player answers incorrectly. A host has no control over that.

Shortening the name of the category is not unique and happens often. Personally I wished it happened more often.

Going for the high dollar amounts is also a strategy many have used. You try to build up your winnings while pecking around for the daily doubles. In years past, the daily doubles were delegated to the two highest valued slots. (Now you can occasionally find them in the third slot and even rarely the second slot.) A large pot allows you to bid big and distance yourself even more from the competition. Finding the daily doubles also denies the competition from being able to do the same. It's a great strategy as long as you're able to answer correctly.

Back in the olden days, the questions actually became more difficult as the value increased. It doesn't necessarily seem that way now, at least to me.

I embrace the concept that reading is fundamental, and would never cast negative judgment on anyone's chosen charity.

Respected Contributor

I will stick to my earlier choice...Ken.

That's my final answer.

Honored Contributor

I didn't think that Levar could get any worse, but he proved me wrong.