Honored Contributor

I do not think the show fell apart. I didn't watch Alex every night until he became ill and we knew his time was limited.  I watch it as often now as I did prior to Alex's illness.

Honored Contributor

They should add an addendum saying 'until someone digs up dirt on one or both of them'. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of Mayim or Ken, so this news is not thrilling me.

They are dragging this process out for too long.  I think they should choose Buzzy and move forward with the show.

Honored Contributor

As poorly as Aaron Rodgers is performing as an NFL quarterback, his hat may be back in the ring.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@godi wrote:

It's such a shame how this show fell apart without Alex.  

he was the show

should have just let it go

@jackthebear 

Should have let what go?  The show?   

Perhaps you don't realize what a HUGE show this actually is.  It airs all around the world in approximately 50 countries.   Merv Griffin was the creator of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, and these are huge money makers for Sony, the parent company.  They wouldn't throw away hundreds of millions (if not billions) just because the long time host died.  

Jeopardy has a huge following world wide.

Personally, I have enjoyed the variety and critiquing the various guest hosts.  I also think that the show has gotten a good shot in the arm from the guest hosts, including people that never watched regularly.   

JMO, of course.

yes the show,  because it's a money maker have to keep it going apparently 

Esteemed Contributor

I did read some time ago that the guest hosts were just that guest hosts. Believe the article came from the station or producers that none of these guests were even considered as permanent hosts. They were just really big fans of AT and the show.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@godi wrote:

It's such a shame how this show fell apart without Alex.  

he was the show

should have just let it go

@jackthebear 

Should have let what go?  The show?   

Perhaps you don't realize what a HUGE show this actually is.  It airs all around the world in approximately 50 countries.   Merv Griffin was the creator of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, and these are huge money makers for Sony, the parent company.  They wouldn't throw away hundreds of millions (if not billions) just because the long time host died.  

Jeopardy has a huge following world wide.

Personally, I have enjoyed the variety and critiquing the various guest hosts.  I also think that the show has gotten a good shot in the arm from the guest hosts, including people that never watched regularly.   

JMO, of course.

yes the show,  because it's a money maker have to keep it going apparently 

@jackthebear 

Well, duh.  OF COURSE it's a money maker ... because it's a VERY popular show with viewers all over the world. 

It's the point of everything you see on TV.   Advertising dollars are spent on shows with big audiences, which pays for making and filming the shows.

If you think there are low-rated and low-profit shows kept on TV just for the heck of it, you don't understand the basics of business.   It's like someone making negative comments about shopping channels ... "they are just trying to make money".  That's the point, and I'm surprised any adult doesn't understand you don't cancel a show that makes hundreds of millions annually just because someone died.   Who in their right mind would ever do that?

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

Good point and I totally agree.  It's not really the same as planning for the replacement of a top corporate executive, but there were any number of people who could have replaced Alex in the short term until things got (or get) sorted out. 

Once they get the right person as permanent host, things will settle down.  In the meantime, all the talk about the show only helps its future, IMO.  

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

I did read some time ago that the guest hosts were just that guest hosts. Believe the article came from the station or producers that none of these guests were even considered as permanent hosts. They were just really big fans of AT and the show.

When Mike Richards was still EP, he said that some of the guest hosts were being considered for permanent host. He might just have been blowing smoke.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I've not been a regular viewer for years but I won't be watching Ken Jennings. They had better options. One can only assume he's squeaky clean and that becuse he's not in the industry, his history is not going to become fodder for gossip.

@stevieb 

Obviously you aren't aware of Ken's past derogatory and stupid comments that cost him the permanent job.  He's not squeaky clean.

I am speculating that over the years MANY positions will be lost because of old, ill-advised comments will be unearthed for any number of people.   

As they say, once it's on the internet, it's out there FOREVER.   No one is squeaky clean.  It has nothing to do with being "in the industry".

@Tinkrbl44  No, I'm not aware, but I'm not surprised. In candor, I haven't been following this elongated selection process for a game show host very closely. From what I've seen, however, he would not have been on my short list. I do agree, no one is squeaky clean, which makes it all the more ridiculous for those in some corners to keep digging the dirt.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...