Honored Contributor

Re: JEOPARDY News

[ Edited ]

.. I don't have a problem with the TEMPORARY hosts choice for the rest of 2021 of Ken and Mayim..

I just can't stand Matt and cant wait until his time is done,

He copied a gimmick from James and watching Matt clear the board is just no fun for me...........😴ZZZZZZ 

I think the choice of Mike Richards was the wrong choice from the get go...to me he was dull and robot like just like he was for "Pyramid" and other game shows he hosted......And now are they going to start the whole process of host search again next year.???...🙄  Lets face it, they will never find anyone like or close to Alex in class, professionalism, and personality. Everyone needs to respect the time Alex had hosting and now move on....Just like the "Price Is Right" did with Bob Barker...I actually like Drew Carey better than Bob...The Jeopardy replacement wont be another Alex.....but perhaps find someone with intelligence yet a bit humble, personable and someone who relates to the contestants, pleasant, and professional.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Back in an interview  in the early 1990s the "Original" host of daytime Jeopardy,  Art Fleming, criticized three things he didn't like about the new game. 

First, he said that the answers were much, much easier than when he hosted.

Next, he noted that contestants on his show kept whatever winnings they accumulated at the end.

Finally, and I remember this:  a contestant could buzz in at any time, not needing to wait!  Art said that this led to many more wrong responses and made the show more exciting.

Honored Contributor

Re: JEOPARDY News

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

LeVar Burton has said now he doesn't want to be the full-time host.

He's determined, isn't he?  Since the direct approach didn't work, he's trying reverse psychology: say he doesn't want it so they'll give it to him. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

LeVar Burton has said now he doesn't want to be the full-time host.

He's determined, isn't he?  Since the direct approach didn't work, he's trying reverse psychology: say he doesn't want it so they'll give it to him. Smiley Happy 

I follow LeVar Burton on Twitter, and I disagree with your theory.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

At this point, maybe they should just print out the answers on the screen?

Respected Contributor

I just finished watching the first week of the new season last night.  (recorded it and watched 3 one night, ff-ing thru commercials, for my exercise bike ride, and 2 last night with commercials included, made both sessions about an hour)  and came to one conclusion about Mike Richards.  Totally disregarding his past online commentary of extreme bad taste (at the very least) I am glad he won't be hosting the show because of his constant hissing S'es.  The over-sibillance drove me nuts.  I don't remember if he only hosted those five shows before his demotion and later firing, or if there's another week to go, but I guess I'll find out on Monday.  As long as fall programming of my regular shows hasn't started, and the summer programming I watch is tapering off, I'll supplement with "Jeopardy" episodes, and if Mayim Bialik ends up doing most of the hosting, or even if they switch out with her and Ken Jennings on a weekly basis, I'll probably keep watching, as I've re-discovered that I actually like the show.  It surprises me that I can still answer many of the questions, honestly, so maybe it's good for my aging brain, too?  Can't hurt....

One thing that has changed from years ago, when I first watched the show, is that the second and third place finishers now get $2,000 and $1,000 each, instead of what they earned.  That strikes me as quite unfair!  Perhaps that's how they keep paying out the huge sums to the returning champions, but I'd prefer to see a rule change or two to limit the huge sums that can be racked up, thus letting the show go back to paying everyone the money they earn, even if they don't wind up being the top finisher.  Perhaps setting a top payout of $5,000, tapering to $2,000 and $1,000, and picking the winner each day by who answered the most questions correctly, with our without penalties for wrong answers.  I know that $2,000 is better than nothing, but those prize limits would make me not even consider competing on the show, it wouldn't be worth the time, especially if you ran headlong into a winner like Matt Amodio.  He still irritates me by using "What's" at the beginning of every answer, even when he's going to answer with a person's name.  I know he thinks it saves him time, but it's the sign of a lazy brain to me.  The category should tell you whether your answer should start with "what, who, where, or why".

Honored Contributor

I cannot recall how far back it was, but I recall a time when somebody could only win through 5 episodes.  After that, they leave with their winnings and there are 3 new contestants.

I don't care either way, especially because I do like Matt and could just keep on watching him.   

I also like James and wish I had been watching when he was playing.

I'm fine with Ken either way.   I think that he will do a good job, as will Mayim.  If I got to choose my fav of the two of them I'd choose Mayim.   We already know she's smart.  She's personable, and she does a good job.

Meanwhile, at this point, I'm just watching for Matt.  The guy who hosted this last week was ok, I guess.  Nothing special but he did a fine job.   

Like others, I'm more about the contestants anyway.  I think the show will get back on track and be fine.   Smiley Happy