Honored Contributor

JEAN SIMMONS MINI FEST FRIDAY A.M. ONWARDS TCM

Yeah, it rolls out at 6:00 a.m. Eastern, and goes all the way till 8:00 p.m. Eastern:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-01-31

There are the familiar ones, but let's look at some more off-beat choices:

10:45 a.m. Eastern--  "So Long at the Fair".   Jean Simmons, Dirk Bogarde, David Tomlinson, Honor Blackman, Cathleen Nesbitt.

British thriller.  Jean Simmons, Dirk Bogarde.  That's all I need to know, ha.  Sounds really good--  English brother and sister (Jean Simmons and David Tomlinson) arrive in Paris for a great Exposition (World's Fair I think).  Cross paths with painter Dirk Bogarde.  The next morning in their hotel, Simmons finds a blank wall where her brother's room was, and the innkeeper says there was no brother with her.  Cue Twilight Zone music!

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Affair with a Stranger".   Jean Simmons, Victor Mature, Monica Lewis, Jane Darwell, Dabbs Greer

p01h5gk8.jpg

Victor Mature is a playwright, and Jean Simmons his ex-model wife, whose marriage is threatened by both outside temptation (there's an actress lurking in the wings), and family tragedy.   I love Victor Mature, and welcome seeing him in something besides a costume epic or gritty noir outings.  Can imagine him and Jean having some off-the-beaten path chemistry too!

1953-affair-with-a-stranger-victor-mature-jean-simmons.jpg   

Honored Contributor

Re: JEAN SIMMONS MINI FEST FRIDAY A.M. ONWARDS TCM

I loved her in Home Before Dark, not to mention Guys and Dolls. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, they were great, @Shelbelle -- I love "Home Before Dark" too.   What a varied career;  all the way from "Hamlet" to "Mr. Buddwing".   "Life at the Top",  "All the Way Home",  "Until They Sail"--  she was adventurous in the roles she took.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I bet doing a musical was hard for her, very different, I assume she did her own singing. 

Honored Contributor

Not to mention handling Marlon Brando, @Shelbelle !

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - Jean Simmons was great in one of my favorites - Until They Sail, but I loved her in The Thorn Birds!!   She was perfect in the role of Fiona  - and so cold towards her only daughter.

Honored Contributor

I always liked Jean Simmons and considered her a great actress.  I enjoyed her in Spartacus, Guys and Dolls and The Robe.  I just put the two movies on my

DVR that you recommended, Oznell, they sound like movies I will enjoy and I too would like to see Jean in other roles.  I recently watched her in Young Bess, another good one! 

Honored Contributor

Don't care for her or Audrey Hepburn.

Honored Contributor

I don't recognize Jean Simmons outside of "bibical" movies. hidemf3.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I didn't think she was pretty. Always wondered how her and others like Pat O'Neil ever made it in movies.