Esteemed Contributor

Re: JANET SURTEES ARNESS, WIFE OF JAMES ARNESS

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Doc ? that old grumpy man. Kitty must had really been tired of waiting on Matt.

EWWWWW..................

@SharkE  I'm sure that Matt stopped by to see Kitty when the whole Town was locked up. They certain got it on.

Many times he would tell her, see you later Kitty. I love that man. I watch him everyday and never get tired of it. Just finished watching him and then another show comes on at 10pm tonight.  Kitty was very satisfied with her Matt.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Bad thing about some of the Gunsmoke shows is women aren't treated very well, always being beaten up,  or worse. Male writers

I suspect.

Poor Ms. Kitty all she wanted was for Matt to go upstairs with her he was always unavailable, chasing after a criminal, etc. Everytime he had trouble with a female criminal, orphaned kid, etc. he would tell poor Chester "take her over to Kitty".

Wonder how the guy who played Chester managed to keep that leg so stiff all the time ? can't remember his name went on to play later that detective. They must had to fashion some kind of brace for him. Drive me nuts.  Why didn't Chester ever call Matt, 'Matt', instead of Mr. Dillion all the time.

I bet Matt took at least a couple 100 bullets, but, always survived LOL

@SharkE  yes it was strange that Chester (Dennis Weaver) call Matt Mr Dillon ( guess out of respect) and Festus called Matt, Matthew. I love to hear him say "Matthew"

Valued Contributor

I have seen that interview and it is good. I actually like the 30 minute Gunsmoke episodes the best (the early years of the series). John Wayne recommended James Arness for the part of Matt Dillon; perfect choice.

Respected Contributor

We used to watch all the Westerns when I was a child.  My favorites were also Cisco Kid, Roy Rogers and Hopalong Cassidy.  I wonder if any of you remember that James Arness played the part of the Thing in the movie "The Thing".  I named one of my cats "Miss Kitty".  I tend to name them after TV or movie characters.  Simba, Olivia Benson, Binx from Hocus Pocus, Gus (Octavius) from Cinderella etc.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Bad thing about some of the Gunsmoke shows is women aren't treated very well, always being beaten up,  or worse. Male writers

I suspect.

Poor Ms. Kitty all she wanted was for Matt to go upstairs with her he was always unavailable, chasing after a criminal, etc. Everytime he had trouble with a female criminal, orphaned kid, etc. he would tell poor Chester "take her over to Kitty".

Wonder how the guy who played Chester managed to keep that leg so stiff all the time ? can't remember his name went on to play later that detective. They must had to fashion some kind of brace for him. Drive me nuts.  Why didn't Chester ever call Matt, 'Matt', instead of Mr. Dillion all the time.

I bet Matt took at least a couple 100 bullets, but, always survived LOL

@SharkE Another fine actor with Oklahoma connections. He was raised in and around Oklahoma and his father was of mixed English, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee, and Osage ancestry.

He was track and field athlete while studying for a degree in fine arts at the University of Oklahoma before my time. During World War II, he served as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Navy.

Also there was Larry Drake who played Bennie on one of the lawyer shows, who I knew at OU when he was in the drama dept. the the Univ. of Okla.