Respected Contributor

I know she's written quite a few books but didn't know she currently had a TV show.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Oprah was a big supporter of her in the 80, or 90,s like Dr.Phil and Dr. Oz, then they had a falling out because she said something or did something Oprah didn,t like.  

I was going through a hard time in the 90,s and a couple of her books really helped me to survive and make some wise decisions.

Then she disappeared and now reinvented herself.  I do not like her program, but I,m in a better place now.  

I do not remember if she had a degree and have given the books away.  

They, her and Oprah speak again.

@qvcaddition Except for your comment re: the show (I haven’t seen it) I agree with all you said. 

I recommend her book In the Meantime and suggest having a notebook for making notes. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I know she's written quite a few books but didn't know she currently had a TV show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

She does and if you want to watch, I suggest you procure a set of really effective ear plugs.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Iyanla Vanzant

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda

@esmerelda wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

Oprah was a big supporter of her in the 80, or 90,s like Dr.Phil and Dr. Oz, then they had a falling out because she said something or did something Oprah didn,t like.  

I was going through a hard time in the 90,s and a couple of her books really helped me to survive and make some wise decisions.

Then she disappeared and now reinvented herself.  I do not like her program, but I,m in a better place now.  

I do not remember if she had a degree and have given the books away.  

They, her and Oprah speak again.

@qvcaddition Except for your comment re: the show (I haven’t seen it) I agree with all you said. 

I recommend her book In the Meantime and suggest having a notebook for making notes. 

The one book I have kept is, "One Day My Soul Just Opened Up".  I haven't seen her show, but have seen her on some talk shows and she gave a sample of what her show was like and it didn't appeal to me. She has had a lot of problems since she wrote those books, so like myself, at age 82, I could be a Life Coach.  The older you get the more experience of life you have gone through, especially if you were a single mom for most of your childrens life.  You learn quite fast not to sink, but to swim. True they would say at my age some is old fashion, but wisdom never goes out of style. So you don't need a degree to be a "Life Coach", but you do need life's experience not text book experience.  I have to laugh at 20 or 30 something saying they are a Life Coach.  Maybe they can be, I shouldn't judge.

One example,  Until recently I belonged to a  abuse women support group where the Psychologist is the expert, and quite young in her late20's,but the answers she gave to some of the women were text book.  I kept raising my hand and giving them real life experience and how to solve some of their problems.  I had to quit, because after a year, the same women were making the same mistakes.  They didn't want answers, they just wanted to tell a story and it felt more comfortable to stay in the abuse situtation.

These were Senior woman who were being abused by their adult children mentally.   They didn't want the kids to be mad at them, so they gave money or mortgage their home, or did whatever they had to do not to make them angry and not speak to them. Yet, just from their stories, you knew they were being used.  I can understand that, but value yourself also.  After all the abuse I went through, no one is allow to abuse me, not ever again, not even my adult children.  I value my worth no matter what age I am.

I apoligize if I offended anyone for the above, but sometime not knowing when I'm not PC.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcadditionWhat a strong woman you are. And how sad about the abuse of the elderly.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

I googled her and also looked her up on wikipedia. She has a degree in law but nowhere could I discover if she ever actually took the bar exam and/or passed it. It seems she's a pretty high profile media personaltiy but as far as having any actual training to "fix peoples lives", it apprears she has none.

She's not my cup of tea.

@FuzzyFace Inyanla got her law degree from CUNY at Queens College and worked as a defender in the Philadelphia Public Defender's office.

Trusted Contributor

I used to enjoy watching Iyanla... but then I found it became a program focused on people of her race with what I felt were excuses for bad behavior .... it was difficult for me to watch.

Trusted Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

I googled her and also looked her up on wikipedia. She has a degree in law but nowhere could I discover if she ever actually took the bar exam and/or passed it. It seems she's a pretty high profile media personaltiy but as far as having any actual training to "fix peoples lives", it apprears she has none.

She's not my cup of tea.

@FuzzyFace Inyanla got her law degree from CUNY at Queens College and worked as a defender in the Philadelphia Public Defender's office.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what? She could have a dozen LAW degrees; it still doesn't qualify her to act as a "life coach" (whatever that is) or getting people to yell and cry and scream on television as she "fixes their lives". Since when has she becme qualified to do that? Does she have a counseling/psychology degree?

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@DJs mom wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

She's not my cup of tea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what? She could have a dozen LAW degrees; it still doesn't qualify her to act as a "life coach" (whatever that is) or getting people to yell and cry and scream on television as she "fixes their lives". Since when has she becme qualified to do that? Does she have a counseling/psychology degree?

@FuzzyFace excuse me but I was responding to your comment that nowhere could you discover if she took the bar and/or passed it, not once did I comment on her life coach qualifications.

Super Contributor

I see we have a lot of life experts today about what people do. There are times when people have problems they do not want face reality  and I fine that truth is the last thing they want to hear. Her show is no different from Dr. Phil and there are days I turn him off because some of those families problems are bit to much for my space.