Trusted Contributor

I just stumbled across her show, Iyanla Vanzant Heal My Life. It involves a lot of yelling, crying, etc. It seems to me she's acting as some kind of psychotherapist but I can't see that she's had any kind of education or training.

Does anyone know anything about this woman?

Honored Contributor

I vaguely remember her from the Oprah show...I was not an avid watcher of the show but do recall the name...something happened then, she reinvented herself....I guess this show is her new gig.......seems like a very odd show to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

I just stumbled across her show, Iyanla Vanzant Heal My Life. It involves a lot of yelling, crying, etc. It seems to me she's acting as some kind of psychotherapist but I can't see that she's had any kind of education or training.

Does anyone know anything about this woman?

Sounds like something to avoid.

Honored Contributor

I once caught about 2 minutes of this person. Couldn't turn the channel fast enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Oprah was a big supporter of her in the 80, or 90,s like Dr.Phil and Dr. Oz, then they had a falling out because she said something or did something Oprah didn,t like.  

I was going through a hard time in the 90,s and a couple of her books really helped me to survive and make some wise decisions.

Then she disappeared and now reinvented herself.  I do not like her program, but I,m in a better place now.  

I do not remember if she had a degree and have given the books away.  

They, her and Oprah speak again.

Trusted Contributor

Iyanla Vanzant is not a licensed therapist but she may, perhaps, be characterized as a life coach in much the same manner as the following, Sally J. Raphael, Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, etc.,  during the initial years of their shows. She is also a lawyer and has written several best-selling books.  She was an intermittment guest on Oprah, had a brief tv program under Barbara Walters, and now has her life coaching program on the OWN Network.  She has many followers despite the controversial methods she adopts.  

Honored Contributor

I've tried to watch her but she drives me crazy too. I think the show is a sham.

Respected Contributor

Re: Iyanla Vanzant

[ Edited ]

@FuzzyFace:  Iyanla Vanzant's show "Fix My Life" has been on the air for several seasons. She is a very educated woman. If you google her name, you will get the answers to the questions you've asked here.

Trusted Contributor

I googled her and also looked her up on wikipedia. She has a degree in law but nowhere could I discover if she ever actually took the bar exam and/or passed it. It seems she's a pretty high profile media personaltiy but as far as having any actual training to "fix peoples lives", it apprears she has none.

She's not my cup of tea.

Trusted Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@FuzzyFace:  Iyanla Vanzant's show "Fix My Life" has been on the air for several seasons. She is a very educated woman. If you google her name, you will get the answers to the questions you've asked here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"educated" does not mean "qualified".  Myself I think she's nuts but that's just my opinion--which DOESN'T involve a lot of yelling, screaming, crying, etc. I think she's dancing pretty close to the edge of legality, doing what she's doing without any formal training or education..