Honored Contributor

Congatulations Mama and Papa Wick!  May you enjoy every minute of your retirement activities in Texas.

Esteemed Contributor

How fun.  One of my sisters still lives there and loves it.

Honored Contributor

I would never move. We own our home... we have easy access to stores, great doctors  all just a few minutes away down the road with no freeway.... the weather is really nice... I live in a great neighborhood.  I can pay people to care for the yard if in time it becomes too much. And pay people to clean the house too if that is the situation.

I never want to move again

Respected Contributor

My former boss retired and moved to Texas last May (from the Midwest) and he absolutely loves it - especially this time of year when it is cold and snowy in this part of the country.  He got a part time job in Texas just recently.  Best wishes @MamaWick on your retirement in Texas!

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

PapaWick and I will be retiring, and moving to Texas, in July.  Not sure if I can just stay home, and might have to get a part time job 😃

I know this is the TV and Movies forum, but this is where I post 99% of the time, and this is my comfort zone.

Good for you!!! You sound very excited.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We moved here from Southern Indiana back in 2010. Husband works part-time still and will retire for sure in Oct.

We don't have kids so didn't have to worry about that aspect of moving.

No ties that bind.

Food is different. Weather is one hot ************* in the summer and in the Amarillo area. EXcel energy has a strangle hold on your electric bill. Wish

we had more areas like Tenn. does with the shopping tourist areas. Strip malls, red roof shops, flea and craft areas. Never rains and I mean that sincerely NEVER RAINS. All U have to mow is what the sprinklers hit. We bought lot of space so as to not be close to others in a country suburb, but, close to things you need in no more then 15 min drive.

Winters are a lot better then up in Ind. Home heating gas bill hardly ever over 100 a month. They freeze your property taxes at 65 will never go up unless you build on or build something on your property. Course, they make it up on vehicle annual inspections and property tax isn't cheap.

We're paying more for 2 1/2 acres then we did on 20 up in Ind. No state income tax either, though. Great while your still working LOL 

wish this area had more shopping choices. There is a mall in Amarillo, but, mostly for the young. If it wasn't for Dillards I'd be hurting. Penny's is pretty much a glorified Goodwill any more. Kohl's is Ok, Steinmart is ok.

We need more food shopping stores also just walmarts and United's.

Ocean areas was a big no no for us. Don't have to worry about water horrors in Amarillo LOL Winds are bad. Mostly a Baptist religion rules here

That's fine. LOL

Good luck !

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick, and PapaWick,

http://www.greetingsbuddy.com/gb/01/639/639.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Don't know what part of the country you live in, but just out of curiosity, why are you going to Texas?  Cost of living?  Family?  Opportunities?  I live in the NE and most retirees here go to Florida or Arizona.  Some are going to the Carolinas or Georgia.  I know a few who've headed to Texas, but mostly because they were following their children.  Good luck in your new home.

@Jaspersmom. @MamaWick.  On the other hand, I spent close to 35 years in Texas and could hardly wait to retire and escape, if only over the state line.  After Texas, New Mexico is like heaven to me.  I'd rather live anywhere than live in Florida though.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Hey girl , New Mexico is even drier then here LOL and all those flat roofs over there made me nervous LOL

our pastor is coming over there to ski 

huh? you got skiing there?

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick  Best wishes to you on the impending move to the state that the wonderful movie classic with Elizabeth Taylor--Giant--depicted.  Now you have your legitimate TV and Movies reference to keep things "cricket" here.