Esteemed Contributor

It's that time of year again! It's Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.

Right now I am watching "Crikey! It's Shark Week"

It's about Robert Irwin learning about and swimming with sharks.

I can't believe that he is 17!

He has grown in to quite attractive young man, who has inherited his father's love of life. He positively radiates exuberance and joy.

I have to admit though, I miss the Shark Week of old, where it was more about the study of sharks, and shark behavior.

I'm not interested or care if Will Smith or whoever gets in a shark cage.

But, I've always had a fondness for Steve and his kids, so I'll watch Robert follow in his father's footsteps.

Any Shark Week fans?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't like to see sharks vilified.  They need to be protected and instilling fear in people isn't the way to do it.

Frequent Contributor

Yes! I'm a fan too. I completely agree with you about the celebrity shark shows taking over sadly. I don't watch them, so I'm not watching as much as I use to. The air jaws shows were one of my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

I love Shark Week!

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't like to see sharks vilified.  They need to be protected and instilling fear in people isn't the way to do it.

@faeriemoon 

Shark Week isn't about vilifying sharks or instilling fear into people about them.

Quite the opposite in fact.

It's about educating  people to how important they are to our ecosystem, and their habits and biology. It's about the science of sharks.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I wish it wasn't, they take my shows off for the whole week!

Honored Contributor

Totally do not "GET IT" at all. I find it stupid.

Just me. Not putting anyone down for enjoying it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched Robert Irwin with the sharks. He looks like his father; it's like seeing another Steve. The programs are interesting, but not anything I'd want to do. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon 

Shark Week isn't about vilifying sharks or instilling fear into people about them.

Quite the opposite in fact.

It's about educating  people to how important they are to our ecosystem, and their habits and biology. It's about the science of sharks.

@Anonymous032819  That's good to know.  When they first started shark week years ago it featured terrifying shark stories.  Glad they went in another diretion with it.

For anyone interested in sharks, I recommend following Cristina Zenato on Instagram.  She does fabulous work with sharks.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Shark Week for the amazing informational shows.  I am not interested in the celebrity shows.  I find sharks fascinating.