Valued Contributor

Is using dishonesty really comical?

Ive noticed a lot of comedy shows on tv are based on using some form of dishoesty with each other as a topic for the show. I personally dont find it funny all the time. Shows are becoming so predicatable and lose interest. I mean what happened to creative screen plays. Im tired of tacky plots where one person lies and the whole show is created around how they cover up that lie. Whats so funny about that anyway? (Sigh) do people really find that funny? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is using dishonesty really comical?

It all boils down to having good writing or not. Really good writers are rare (Hollywood or anywhere).

Honored Contributor

We all have different tastes and choices.  That's what isso great  - now there are so many choices of what shows we can watch that if you don't care for some shows you can usually find something that is more to you liking.  Way back - before cable - most only had a few channels to choose from.

The same situation can be either funny or not depending on the writers whether about some form of dishonesty or not!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch any of what is currently called comedy either...

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I don't watch any of what is currently called comedy either...

Same here.  Most of it simply isn't funny and I tend to not watch many sitcoms.

Predictable, dishonest & putting others down all the time usually isn't funny to me.

Honored Contributor

All of the late shows are nothing but harping on the same old same old.  They used to have iteresting people and topics, now it's just harping. 

Respected Contributor

I liked "The King of Queens," but towards the end it was often about Doug trying to put one over on his wife, Carrie. He was a major liar. 

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

Ive noticed a lot of comedy shows on tv are based on using some form of dishoesty with each other as a topic for the show. I personally dont find it funny all the time. Shows are becoming so predicatable and lose interest. I mean what happened to creative screen plays. Im tired of tacky plots where one person lies and the whole show is created around how they cover up that lie. Whats so funny about that anyway? (Sigh) do people really find that funny? 

@mintedrose

???   What are a couple examples of this?   I have no idea where you could have seen this storyline.

Esteemed Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

I liked "The King of Queens," but towards the end it was often about Doug trying to put one over on his wife, Carrie. He was a major liar. 

@LyndaGeeCarrie was no angel either.  Sometimes I cringed...for both of them...at some of the things they did.

Mostly funny, though.  And way funnier than a lot of what's on now.

Keepin' it real.