Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Victoria on PBS?

@Annabellethecat66, I saw one photo of you.  More would be great.  Cyberhugs to you too!

And LOL your'e so right about the OP having clicked on the link already.  I never thought of it that way.  You're one smart cookie!

Honored Contributor

The world would be better if there were more people as kind as you and Cathy here...Love you lori.

Respected Contributor

i am totally enjoying this rendering of Queen Victoria's life - perhaps i belong in the Victorian era and not in the Housewives era!

Honored Contributor

I re-watched the last two episodes when I was in a mellow mood and liked them a lot more than watching them live.  Maybe because my expectations were lower but also because the slow pacing matched my mood.

But now that I know she loved Albert from day one I question why they made the foolish decision to go with Daisy Goodwin's fictional version of history rather than history itself. 

Respected Contributor

I always watch Masterpiece Theater productions as they are usually a slow burn.  I know there was great hope that Victoria would be as successful as Downton Abbey.  No chance of that though.

Everyone says The Crown is fabulous.  

Honored Contributor

I just saw my first snippet of it tonight, and liked it.  I liked the older, avuncular "advisor" or counselor who seems to perhaps love her.  Poor guy.  And I wonder if the young woman in waiting who does her hair will be a fixture.  She was interesting...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Daisy used Victoria's diaries as the foundation for the book and the series.

Honored Contributor

@rustee wrote:

Daisy used Victoria's diaries as the foundation for the book and the series.

@rustee, yes and from what I've read she and her daughter Beatrice scrubbed those diaries of everything she didn't want people to know.  At the same time there are many contemporary sources. 

By all accounts she was quite nasty.  She didn't commute the sentences of the chartists.  She loved Albert only and always.  The dresser (I forget her name) in the subplot with the nunnery and the child had a background in service only and lived to 94 and worked for Victoria her whole life.  So many contradictions.

Initially I read glowing reviews in the British papers but searching differently I found they morphed into complaints about glaring inaccuracies and romanticizing.

I'll still watch but it's now firmly in the fiction category of my mind rather than anything remotely historical, which is disappointing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not put off that it's more docu-drama than biographical. There's room for both approaches. What I am put off by is that it's just sooooo sloooow... to the point of being boring. It's simply not holding my interest and frankly, I don't like 'Victoria'. I think last week was my last episode. We'll see.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Well, I've been watching it...but the kiss of death is....ta ta ta ta.....I got bored and pushed that little red button called "RECORD".

After awhile, I just erase it...I'll try one more time...it's not like it's a mystery...like we don't know the ending.....