Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Victoria on PBS?

Last night was REALLY SLOW.  The most exciting thing was learning more about the dresser's back story. (which is no doubt ficticious)

I think the acting is not all that good.

I wanted to like this but I'm finding it harder and harder to watch.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Last night was REALLY SLOW.  The most exciting thing was learning more about the dresser's back story. (which is no doubt ficticious)

I think the acting is not all that good.

I wanted to like this but I'm finding it harder and harder to watch.

@lulu2, I wonder if the difference is the British public is so familiar wtih Jenna Coleman from Doctor Who.  She's a wonderful actress with great range. 

I can't blame her but I find the dialogue -- everybody's, but especially Victoria's -- stilted and awkward at times. 

As for last night being slow -- it put me to sleep!   I almost never fall asleep with the teevee on but last night's episode was made of zzzzzzzzz.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is slow. I like it in spite of itself, but they should've had someone other than the book's author write the teleplay. It's barely compelling viewing and I'm not sure I'll stick with it. It just seems to take forever for the story to go anywhere. They seem to have focused far too much time on a very short period in her long history.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

One wonders what sort of reign she would have had, what reputation and family she would have had, if she hadn't married Albert. It seems that much of the "Victorian" Victoria was due to his influence. I hadn't realized just how much of a killjoy personality-less stick he was. We think of Victoria that way, but it was actually Albert who did it to her. Eww.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori

I fell asleep too!

Honored Contributor

I can barely watch. Why this gets rave reviews I don't know?  The only one I like is Lord M

Super Contributor

I loved last nights episode.  I cried at the end. While I was watching it, I was thinking back to the scenes as I encountered them in the audiobook.

Esteemed Contributor

I was excited when I saw "Victoria" was going to be on.  Then after part of the 2nd episode, I quit watching.  I thought it was rather boring.  But I do like the Victorian era.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

It is slow. I like it in spite of itself, but they should've had someone other than the book's author write the teleplay. It's barely compelling viewing and I'm not sure I'll stick with it. It just seems to take forever for the story to go anywhere. They seem to have focused far too much time on a very short period in her long history.

@stevieb

This is just the first season of what I assume is going to be a lengthy series.

It probably won't be all inclusive, however.

Honored Contributor

@rustee... Thanks for the information. Not sure that's a good thing. Maybe they should have compressed it a little in the interest of moving it along at least a little more quickly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...