Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Victoria on PBS?

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I watched it since it followed a quite lurid finale of Sherlock. To me, I felt like I was watching a soap opera and, according to what I read, it seems that Victoria is more fiction than fact. That is an insult to the viewing audience.  I may not watch subsequent episodes. I don't like productions that purport to be representations of history but take liberties with the truth.

While I understand your thinking and would agree if the intent were to produce a more documetary piece, I can also enjoy the docudrama approach of taking certain liberties with history in the interest of entertainment. I think there's room for both.

Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Disagree.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed it!   Missed about 10 minutes of the show, so I missed what happened to the woman who was going to be examined to see if she was pregnant.  I know that she died, but I don't know any of the details.  Can someone fill me in, please? 

Respected Contributor

I started to watch this since it came on after Sherlock.  I didn't care too much for what I saw.  I really miss Poldark!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, the entire production is based on a novel rather than a biography or a history book... Creative license was taken with the novel, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it would be taken with the television series, and one would doubt that the intent was ever to offer a strict biography. For a good fact based account, for those who like to read, I'd seek out a good biography.

Respected Contributor

I just finished watching the first episode and thought it was very well done. I believe the servants' activities were included to latch onto the concept of the majorly successful "Downton Abbey." 

However, if the production takes liberties with historical fact, then I won't stick with it.

I do not care for historical fiction that messes with the facts (in fact, I've sworn off that genre altogether), and I feel the same way about historical programs that veer from the truth.

Respected Contributor

I watched it yesterday on my ipad.  Has to be pretty good for me to stick with anything for two hours on my ipad!  I dont understand the angst about this being based on facts etc.   I will continue to watch.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I watched it yesterday on my ipad.  Has to be pretty good for me to stick with anything for two hours on my ipad!  I dont understand the angst about this being based on facts etc.   I will continue to watch.  

I'm with you... It's entertainment, not second semester British history.. For a strict historical accounting, there are other resources... The bottom line is if one enjoys it then watch it and if not, then move on to other options...

Honored Contributor

This editing for time that PBS does is criminal. There is a reason Readers Digest is out of favor. 

Honored Contributor

@susan kay wrote:

I enjoyed it!   Missed about 10 minutes of the show, so I missed what happened to the woman who was going to be examined to see if she was pregnant.  I know that she died, but I don't know any of the details.  Can someone fill me in, please? 

@susan kay, turns out she was not pregnant, it was a large tumor.