Trusted Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching Victoria on PBS?

Queen Victoria was unattractive. The actress a Jenna Coleman is very beautiful. Why do they always make real historical figures so unreal? 

( I know this is a rhetorical question. Still.)

Honored Contributor

I had said I wouldn't be watching because I already knew "the real Victoria" and don't much like her. I have watched here and there because I watch Six Wives which comes on after. I still don't like her (no surprise), but must admit I had no idea that Albert was SUCH a piece of wood. Uck. I don't think I can bear any more of him, honestly. 

The bottom line is, I just don't care. These are two unpleasant, dull people, one of which happened to be queen.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I watch. This series is no match for Downton, but it i Masterpiece.

Long ago, I was fascinated with British royalty, so I knew about Victoria.   Actually, she was not a "nice" person. The more I read about her, the more I think she suffered from some type of personality disorder.  She had all those children and detested the whole process. She also felt it her duty to be severe and micro-manage her children. 

They have been playing fast and loose with historical facts, to make it more interesting.  I do enjoy seeing the costumes and sets and the "Upstairs/Downstairs," gives it another twist.

Lord Melbourne was quite elderly in real life and when the actor portraying him said he was ready for retirement, I thought they could have at least made him look older.

I'll keep watching, but Victoria doesn't hold my interest as well as the Tudors. (now they were interesting.)

Super Contributor

I, as usual, loved last nights episode.  I am looking forward to more seasons of

this show. 

Honored Contributor

I have still been watching, it seems to be getting somewhat better,but i do find that we are not seeing the real victoria,from what i have learned.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I could be imagining this but after V & A were engaged and walking in the garden, (when she saw her mother and hid), I swear there were daffodils in bloom.  This would have been January in London.

The day before the wedding after A was fencing and V ran after him, she had no coat and bare shoulders.  This was February.

Now that she's married, I fear this will be even more boring.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

I could be imagining this but after V & A were engaged and walking in the garden, (when she saw her mother and hid), I swear there were daffodils in bloom.  This would have been January in London.

The day before the wedding after A was fencing and V ran after him, she had no coat and bare shoulders.  This was February.

Now that she's married, I fear this will be even more boring.

I'm not sure it can get more dry... Smiley Wink

I watched with half an eye last night, which I hadn't planned to do. Although I said the episode last week would probably be my last, I'm pretty sure that if there's anything at all on worth checking out, I won't be following this any further. I might check it out from time to time, but it really isn't compelling.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Forgot to say, I'm not sure how many seasons they plan to try to squeeze out of this, but they might find that it's not going to sustain the audience they'd hoped.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The actress playing Victoria is attractive but she is not beautiful.  She resembles how Victoria looked in her young adult days.  

Many people on this thread seem to be upset that this is what Masterpiece chose to replace Downton.  Downton had a great run but it is done and gone.  Victoria is not Mary!

Honored Contributor

I swore after last week's snooze fest I would not watch again.  I lied.  I've already invested 4 hours so might as well stick it out.

I love weddings so wanted to see Victoria and Albert's.  I think the actress and actor are rather striking.  Of course I had to research the real wedding gown and think Diana's was similar.(minus the gold braid)

Tom Hughes (Albert) is quite a hunk.