Esteemed Contributor

Is anyone here a Neilson Ratings Household?

When I was younger, I probably would have loved to be. But now? I’m not so sure.

I ask for the following reason...

I received a package a few days ago (bigger than a regular envelope, but not a box) that invited me to become a Neilson household. Wouldn’t matter how I watched TV -computer, phone, etc, they would be able to track it (this is why I’m a little freaked out by it now!). It was actually pretty cool - when you opened the front cover, a little screen came on explaining the process kind of like Mission Impossible less the destruction. I put the envelope away and didn’t really think about it. Wasn’t sure if I would call in or not.

Today I just got a call from my doorman. Someone from Neilson was downstairs with a gift for me. Uninvited. I’m not home to see what it was or to talk to them. But, isn’t that weird? I think that’s weird. I don’t like strangers just showing up.

The mailing did mention gifts. If you are a Neilson family or know of one - do you/they get gifts?
Valued Contributor

Re: Is anyone here a Neilson Ratings Household?

I’m surprised this is even still a thing. Everything being so advanced, it just seems like the networks would be able to track who is watching and when.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLambI'm actually pleased to think they can't really do that  -  even though having to get people to agree to participate probably skews the results.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego - I must have received the same package as you. Didn't receive any gifts, however, I live in a gated community so no one can enter without a pass.

I read through it and decided there were just way too many personal questions and other things that made me wonder why they would want certain info. I shredded mine!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Which makes people stopping by my house even freakier!!

@riley1  Nice to know I’m not the only one.  Although, thinking about it, I’m outside the demo most people would want...

Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone here a Nielsen Ratings Household?

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego    I received an envelope from Nielsen last year but didn't respond only because I had too much stuff going on at the time.

Later I did visit their site which you might want to do also. Nielsen

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Considering everyone else who received it has thrown it away, it’s no wonder they’ve resorted to personal visits and gifts!!  LOL

But seriously, @Tique , would you have considered it now since you’v Spent time looking at it?

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Considering everyone else who received it has thrown it away, it’s no wonder they’ve resorted to personal visits and gifts!!  LOL

But seriously, @Tique , would you have considered it now since you’v Spent time looking at it?

@Alter Ego    Well....not that you've put it like that. Probably not.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

My roommate did this back when we were in college and a man came by to connect a box to our tv to send data.  We did it because we needed the money but now I don’t think I would. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so paranoid about everything where someone/anyone keeps track of me.

I've seen and read all of the ways it can be done without a person's knowledge.

I'm definitely not going to make it easier.

I'll go on the internet looking for ....say a backpack purse .... then I'll go to Amazon to order something and over to the side are advertisements for....(you guessed it) backpack purses.

Everywhere we go there are records of where we've been (our phones track us and on and on)/

If you have ever worked for the government (especially in a place that's secure) you get very paranoid.

Not a lot we can do about it, but we don't have to make it easier.