Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone else tired of all the celebrities and their children's book?

@ValuSkr wrote:

We're in a celebrity-obsessed culture.  That's why these things sell.

Sadly, you are right.  Everything is celebrity this and celebrity that and whatever they hawk sells and sells big.  Education, experience, merit, talent don't factor into it.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

We're in a celebrity-obsessed culture.  That's why these things sell.

Sadly, you are right.  Everything is celebrity this and celebrity that and whatever they hawk sells and sells big.  Education, experience, merit, talent don't factor into it.  

Merit, talent, experience and sometimes education are what made them celebrities in the first place.  Unless you're talking about reality stars or a media stars (not journalists) such as Ainsley Earhardt,  who has also written a children's book...

...and not people with actual talent to memorize hundreds of pages of dialogue and movements and rehearse over and over and then,  in front of sometimes hundreds of crew members or thousands of people in live audiences, use their talent to perform drama and comedy, including Shakespeare.

Respected Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Have already done that thanks ....

My guess is that you are exaggerating--a lot!

You are on a TV and Movie forum. You always have a lot to say. If you were truly disconnected, you wouldn't be hanging on every story about a celebrity.

Honored Contributor

I guess you could say that I am not necessarily tired of celebrities writing children's books but I am picky about what I give my soon to be 6 year old grandson. If some celebrity wrote a children's book that I thought would be something he would enjoy, I would not discriminate just because a celebrity wrote it.

I am interested more in the content of the book rather than the author..

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Just sick of celebrities .. period .....

I'll join you. 

@Big Joanie

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't pay attention to what celebrities are up to anyway.

Honestly I prefer to review children's books on my own and will actually pass by a celebritiy author.

I am not about to rush out and buy a book by author's name.  Tried and true children's authors/illustrators are one thing.

But these one-hit wonders may be good, may be cute, but whoever thinks "tons" of people are being employed need to think again.  Many are printed overseas.

Celebrities who need the money apparently don't know how to handle finances, because they sure as heck make more $$ than I will ever see.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I didn't know celebrities were doing that.  I'll  being buying books for my grands soon but those books will not be celebrity books.  Apparently, they want all the money in the world.

A lot of celebrities donate the proceeds from the books to charities.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

What are all these people bashing celebrities doing in the tv & movies forum?  Especially the one who claims to have shut her tv.  And some of these posters are people you don't run across in the book forum.  Do you listen to music 24/7 or just sit in a rocking chair knitting and grumbling to yourselves?

@LoriLori I assume one of the reasons is because the majority of celebrities have beliefs and opinions that lean a certain way the people bashing don't agree with, if you get my drift. It really doesn't bug me if celebrities want to write (or have a hand in writing) books, do fashion lines, have their own side projects. Considering some celebrities aren't that talented in their original line of work, it may be good for them to branch out and do other things. We can choose not to buy what they're selling.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

What are all these people bashing celebrities doing in the tv & movies forum?  Especially the one who claims to have shut her tv.  And some of these posters are people you don't run across in the book forum.  Do you listen to music 24/7 or just sit in a rocking chair knitting and grumbling to yourselves?

@LoriLori I assume one of the reasons is because the majority of celebrities have beliefs and opinions that lean a certain way the people bashing don't agree with, if you get my drift. It really doesn't bug me if celebrities want to write (or have a hand in writing) books, do fashion lines, have their own side projects. Considering some celebrities aren't that talented in their original line of work, it may be good for them to branch out and do other things. We can choose not to buy what they're selling.

@Cumbercookie13   ITA.  That's why I brought up Ainsley Earhardt's book which by their standards none of these people saying these things would touch with a ten-foot pole...unless they're total hypocrites.

Honored Contributor

Actually, children's books are the toughest sales to make for a writer.  You need a name to have a publisher even look at you because it is extremely difficult to write for kids. 

Everybody assumes it's easy because of the simplicity of the reading but as an author, you have to get the subject matter right, the language right, the reading level right, etc.  

If it's a picture book, you need the right artist to illustrate your words.

It must be appropriate for the intended audience.   

Boys and girls are still separated this young and the books much more targeted and not considered for a joint wide audience.

It is much more difficult to write and break into than adult books.   It has a lot of different facets that you just don't have with adult readers.  One of the hardest writing jobs in the publishing world.