Respected Contributor

Re: Is Frasier's dad even a good parent?

Btw, the entire layout of the show was perfection. I appreciated the attention to detail....the opening skyline drawing with music, the closing segment after the show was completed, as well as the entire show.

Tonight I watched an episode from the final season....the one where Fraiser had to borrow Niles' shorts after he split his own. Talk about a hilarious episode!!!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Holy cow!!! It’s a sitcom! And one of the best of all time! Can’t we just leave it at that?? 😉

@Ifeelwicked  No, we cannot.  And that's why humor is dead and things won't be funny from now on.  

@SoonerNow, that's funny! 

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

Martin loved his boys, & was very proud of them. He could talk honestly with them, & they all excepted each other just the way they were- it was perfect.

Fraiser is the only TV show that I absolutely adored. Like many of you, I purchased the complete DVD set. It's so funny to see this thread because I started watching them again recently. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the episodes over the years...it's probably an embarrassing #.

The main characters are perfection. And Niles' love for Daphne....it's just the best, isn't it? Her weight gain/spa situation was hilarious. The actress was pregnant in real life, so they wrote it in as an extremely fast weight gain. Then when Roz asked Niles how Daphne was doing at the spa, he said she'd already lost 9 lbs. 6oz, lol (the size her baby was at birth). Smiley Very Happy

@spot555 - You're so right! And I love how they named Niles' and Daphne's baby "David"  in tribute to David Angell, one of the 

creators and executive producers of this show who was on one of the 9/11 planes with his wife. He also was one of the creators of Wings, as well as a writer on Cheers.

Just everything about this show. . . I'm really shocked so many think Martin was a poor parent. As I said in my first post here, I couldn't disagree more. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

Just everything about this show. . . I'm really shocked so many think Martin was a poor parent. As I said in my first post here, I couldn't disagree more. Smiley Happy

ITA.

Martin was a good balance to his "fussy" boys, lol. He had a strong character....liked hot dogs, bacon grease, & sports, lol. His sons spoke French, ate the finest caviar, & ordered handmade hand towels from Italy. 

I thought the pairing was perfect. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Most people got the irony of "Martin" being the father of both "Frasier" and "Niles" IF they got to know and love Kelsey Grammer's character on Cheers for many years before Frasier. IMHO Frasier is the greatest comedy ever written for television. There has never been a better ensemble cast. Interestingly, Jane Leeves (aka "Daphne Moon") just began her new gig as a spitfire orthopedic surgeon on The Resident (my latest obsession).

dee

ITA and Leeves' new gig on 'The Resident' - yes please!   I just watched the last episode last night and really enjoyed it, as I already had with the show, but was surprised to see her join the cast.    Awesome!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

He is ornery and rough around the edges and compared to his cultured sons he appears as a common man. He's a beer drinker , ball game watching simpleton. Never been a fan of this character on the show.
Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Most people got the irony of "Martin" being the father of both "Frasier" and "Niles" IF they got to know and love Kelsey Grammer's character on Cheers for many years before Frasier. IMHO Frasier is the greatest comedy ever written for television. There has never been a better ensemble cast. Interestingly, Jane Leeves (aka "Daphne Moon") just began her new gig as a spitfire orthopedic surgeon on The Resident (my latest obsession).

dee

@deedledeedeedle

ITA .....  but Mike and Molly are a very close seond.  Fabulous character development  ....  and very good writing.   

Respected Contributor

On the show Im surprised how different the sons are from the father. I have to think Martin was a cold and aloof father growing up to his sons. Both have emotional difficulties particularly with women. I believe everything stems from childhood raising.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
He is ornery and rough around the edges and compared to his cultured sons he appears as a common man. He's a beer drinker , ball game watching simpleton. Never been a fan of this character on the show.

@Reever. His 'cultured' sons were pompous a***s. That is what made the show so good.

Respected Contributor

"Common" man....like that's a bad thing, lol!  

Smiley Very Happy