Respected Contributor

Re: Is Frasier's dad even a good parent?

@Mominohio

@Mominohio wrote:

@mintedrose

You and I see Martin totally different. 

Frasier and Niles need some 'real' in their lives. They are so high brow and so self absorbed they need a reality check and Martin, being their dad needs to be that.

Everybody needs a hard *** in their lives to keep them grounded. And if you watch the whole series, you see the love he has for them, he just shows it differently.

Remember the one where they took a class in auto mechanics for basic car care or something?  They realized they were different and did not have the skills.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@mintedrose

I am sorry but I posted off topic. I have watched too many of the shows and laughed a lot. In the beginning I would have agreed with you about Martin. After watching so many , my mind has changed. I think Martin may be different but not necessarily bad. I think the writers did a great job developing characters.  Martin did appear to not think much of Psychiatry.There was an episode where Frasier was having issues with something and Martin verbalized some Psychiatry talk. Frasier realized he was right. It seems to me like Frasiier and Niles are able to look at themselves and their unusual tendencies honestly. They are willing to tackle uncomfortable things like learning to ride a bike.  Martin showed love in a less touchy feely way. I think of the episode where they crossed the border in the winnebago and were pulled over. The episode where he sprung Niles from jail comes to mind as well.

I do get where you are coming from.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@doxie1 wrote:

@Mominohio

@Mominohio wrote:

@mintedrose

You and I see Martin totally different. 

Frasier and Niles need some 'real' in their lives. They are so high brow and so self absorbed they need a reality check and Martin, being their dad needs to be that.

Everybody needs a hard *** in their lives to keep them grounded. And if you watch the whole series, you see the love he has for them, he just shows it differently.

Remember the one where they took a class in auto mechanics for basic car care or something?  They realized they were different and did not have the skills.

doxie

Not sure I remember that one, but I remember them trying to fix the toilet with disastrous results. I also remember a time Frasier forgot himself and threw some rude guy out of Cafe Nervosa. I also remember several references through the years as to Frasier and Niles being gay, just because of their prissy habits. Funny thing is David Hyde Pierce IS gay in real llife. I have to admit, though, that I found the heterosexual Niles kind of sexy mainly because of his quick wit and brilliant mind. Okay, I know he's never been billed as sexy.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose wrote:

Im watching reruns of Frasier and I have to say I think Martin is a horrible father.  i know its hard for a lot of people to see it though because many relate to him or feel sorry for him but the more i watch him the more i see how terrible he is to his sons. I know many people find Frasier to be annoying, kind of a know it all or selfish but im not interested in that. Id be surprised if anyone saw that Martin is never proud of his kids accomplishments and he puts them down constantly. He thinks of Psychiartry as a "bunch of hooey". I know Frasier and Niles have their little issues about stuff but in the end seems like they end up doing the right thing most of the time. I find Martin to be selfish, barging into his sons life without a regard to his privacy or ever thanking him for taking care of him. He ends up ruining Frasier dating life and poor guy ends up being single the entire season. I wonder why. I guess thats what their relationship is supposed to be about. Frasier taking care of his dad being a good son and dad kinda out for himself considering him bringing his dates over without permission and so on. Frasier seems like he puts a lot of time and energy in trying to get close to his dad but I dont think the dad ever looked out for his sons best interest. I think he's a character thats portrayed as old fashioned ruthless father who doesnt know how to love his kids and tends to take his anger out on them. How did their mom end up with him anyway? Anyway, One can understand that they live in different worlds, dad is very blunt, not educated and lacks tact in dealing with people. I guess thats the irony of the show, Frasier being a Psychiatrist and dealing with his own father being dysfunctional.

I heard they're talking of redoing the show but i guess the dad died just this year. 

@mintedrose

WOW ......  when I first started reading your post, I thought it was tongue in cheek, but I guess you are serious.  

The basic plot was always the different personalities .... how could Martin, such a simple man, be the father of two very neurotic, well educated sons with very sophisticated tastes.  Of course, without  us ever knowing the mother, usually the heart of the family, we are missing the whole dynamic.

The contrasts were meant to be funny.   I guess you really didn't get that.  

Martin wasn't a horrible father, nor was he ruthless.   I don't know how you even arrived at that from a lighthearted sitcom.

By the way .......    keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be a documentary or an example of good parenting .... NO sitcom has great parents, in fact, many are quite mixed up.    In most instances, the viewing audience knows those types of personalities, and many may be related to them and can relate, making the weekly scenarios quite funny.

Esteemed Contributor

When I think of a damaged parent in a comedy series, I look at the dad in That 70's Show, NOT Martin Crane. 

Respected Contributor

When push comes to shove, Martin is there for his sons. It is hard for a Father or Mother to have to move in with one of their children. But this show through lots of trials and love, they made it work. One of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

I hardly consider them a typical family, the dynamics are what make the show. 

Honored Contributor

I'd hate to see what the OP thinks about the father in "Shameless".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Most people got the irony of "Martin" being the father of both "Frasier" and "Niles" IF they got to know and love Kelsey Grammer's character on Cheers for many years before Frasier. IMHO Frasier is the greatest comedy ever written for television. There has never been a better ensemble cast. Interestingly, Jane Leeves (aka "Daphne Moon") just began her new gig as a spitfire orthopedic surgeon on The Resident (my latest obsession).

dee

Respected Contributor

Martin loved his boys, & was very proud of them. He could talk honestly with them, & they all excepted each other just the way they were- it was perfect.

Fraiser is the only TV show that I absolutely adored. Like many of you, I purchased the complete DVD set. It's so funny to see this thread because I started watching them again recently. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the episodes over the years...it's probably an embarrassing #.

The main characters are perfection. And Niles' love for Daphne....it's just the best, isn't it? Her weight gain/spa situation was hilarious. The actress was pregnant in real life, so they wrote it in as an extremely fast weight gain. Then when Roz asked Niles how Daphne was doing at the spa, he said she'd already lost 9 lbs. 6oz, lol (the size her baby was at birth). Smiley Very Happy