Super Contributor

Is Downton Abbey Ending After Season 6? Should It?

By Tim Surette | tv.com October 15, 2014

Someone give PBS a hug.

The network is in danger of losing its biggest show, British import Downton Abbey, sooner than it would like if rumors out of the U.K. are true. According to the Radio Times, series creator Julian Fellowes might exit the show following its yet-to-be-announced sixth season

In late 2012, Fellowes signed a deal with NBC Universal to develop The Gilded Age, a period piece about the rich and powerful in 1880s New York, for NBC. But progress on the series has been halted at least partly due to Fellowes' commitment to Downton.

The Radio Times cites sources inside NBC Universal as saying that Fellowes might conclude Downton's run in order to get started on The Gilded Age. For his part, Fellowes has previously stated that Downton's sixth season could be its last, lending some credence to the rumors.

Downton Abbey is currently airing its fifth season in the U.K. and is set to return to PBS on Sunday, January 4, 2015. How long would you like to see the show continue?

Valued Contributor

Re: Is Downton Abbey Ending After Season 6? Should It?

Forever, even though that's not possible!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Honored Contributor

I saw that and it knocked the wind out of me!!! It's like getting a favorite food at the store, and they quit stocking it. I should be used this, but DA, say it's not so!!! I'll miss it, if they go.

Valued Contributor

Creative people need to challenge themselves. Fellowes seems intrigued by this time, having written Gosford Park, a fine movie set in this era. The Guilded Age would give an American slant to his research into "great houses"--their owners and the staff who kept that way of life possible. Does NBC have an audience for what would be an expensive period drama?

Respected Contributor

I find I'm not as interested in DA this year. I think the dark tone of some of the story lines last year put me off. I won't know how I feel about cancellation until I've seen the entire new season.

Super Contributor

I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't miss it at all. They killed off the only likable member of the family (the daughter, can't remember her name) in Season 2. After Mary's husband was killed off, the never-ending series of dislikable beaus who find her sooo fascinating is unbelievable. She's a boring character.

Maggie Smith has become a caricature of herself and the rest of them are just plain stuffy. How many more hours can we be expected to spend watching people dress for dinner (or be helped getting dressed for dinner)?

As a fan of the old Upstairs, Downstairs, it is very evident that many of Mr Fellowes story lines have been ripped straight from that wonderful series. Other than enjoying looking at the fashions, I'm over DA.

Honored Contributor

Look I know it's not the same. However,my favorite show (well, one of my favorites) is starting it's 10th year......yepper, 10 years. It's called Supernatural and it is strange, weird, many people dislike it, but it's still going strong.

So, shows can go on for years!

Respected Contributor

I love DA but think Mr. Fellows should give the reins over to someone else if he does not have the time or creativity that would keep this series going. More then enough talented people in the UK that could take over.

Trusted Contributor

I read somewhere that Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) wants to leave the show as soon as her contract permits, to pursue other career opportunities. I think it would be hard to continue on without her. I look forward to watching the new season in January.
Regular Contributor

Can't wait for the new season to start.I do think that 're series will have to deal with the changing times as was indicated at the end of last season . The war did change the ideals of the people. We saw this with the onset of the Roaring Twenties in a few episodes. With that said, can't wait. It's better than some of the "junk" on tv now.