Honored Contributor

Irene Papas, Greek Actress of ‘Zorba’ and Classical Dramas, Dies at 96

[ Edited ]

Irene Papas - Wikipedia

From an Appreciation by Brian Murphy, The Washington Post:

Irene Papas, a Greek actress with riveting almond eyes who embodied roles of heroism and tragic dignity in films such as “Zorba the Greek” and “The Guns of Navarone,” and gained critical acclaim in classic Greek dramas including “Electra” and “Antigone,” has died. She was 96.

The death was announced Sept. 14 in a statement by Greece’s culture minister, Lina Mendoni, who called Ms. Papas “majestic, stately, dynamic … an international star who radiated Greekness.” The statement did not say when or where she died. No cause was given. Ms. Papas had symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease for nearly five years, according to Greek media.

Ms. Papas (sometimes spelled Pappas) appeared in more than 70 films and stage productions in Italy, France and the United States over a five-decade career. She was hailed by admirers as an ambassador of Greek culture and universal values for her powerful renderings of ancient plays.

She also was part of a generation of Greek artists and intellectuals forced into self-exile during the country’s military junta rule from 1967 to 1974. She lived in hotels in Rome and other cities, joining other Greek stars such as “Zorba” composer Mikis Theodorakis to denounce the regime in Athens.

(There is more to this Appreciation, but I decided to copy and paste only the first few paragraphs.  I was surprised to learn that she and Marlon Brando were a secret but hot item for a period of time.  Hmm, she and Rita Moreno.  He did fancy his brunettes, didn't he?)

MAY HER MEMORY BE ETERNAL!

A scene from Zorba the Greek

Famous Greek actress Irene Papas dies at 96 - Neos Kosmos

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Irene Papas, Greek Actress of ‘Zorba’ and Classical Dramas, Dies at 96

[ Edited ]

In keeping with the royalty theme, she notably and powerfully portrayed the first wife of Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon, opposite Richard Burton, in Anne of the Thousand Days, 1969.

Anne+Of+The+Thousand+Days+4.jpg

e946ac2c9f6fe4e7621545afb6c266fa.jpg1cedb06fb47dfa8053e9f281d851875f914c9d2b.jpg

Honored Contributor

A conundrum, and I'm happy that my mind could figure it out despite its rustiness.

I've always known that Irene Papas had a birthday of March 9.  So, I was confused when I saw now that her birthday is being reported as September 3.  If you ask Google what her birthday is, it brings up both dates.

Of course the confusion lies in the fact that in European countries and many other places in the world they write dates in the format of Day/Month/Year.  Someone at one time deciphered Ms. Papas's birthdate of 3/9/1926 as March 9, 1926, when it should have been read as September 3, 1926. 

Honored Contributor

Johnnyeager, thank you (and so appropriate at this time).  Totally forgotten by me.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 

Thank you for posting those pictures of Irene Papas !  I never really knew what she looked like.

Now I can understand why I would get comments from folks who said I looked Greek like somebody from the film Zorba.  I saw the stage version of Zorba with Anthony Quinn many years ago.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

jlkz, you are a classic Greek beauty then.  You should be pleased by those comments.

Honored Contributor

I remember Irene Papas in her great movie roles, especially Zorba and Anne of a Thousand Days.  She was a beautiful woman with much emotion and talent in her roles.  She has left her mark in the entertainment world and I am sure Greece was and is proud of her contributions to the movies.  May she be at peace with God.

Honored Contributor

Spotted this today online.  Love it!

Leonard Bernstein dances the Greek dance "balos" with Irene Papas

May be an image of 4 people and people standing