Honored Contributor

Investigation Discovery - Kitty Geovese (episode last night 11/11)

Did anyone else watch this last night, besides me?

That it was very interesting. If I understood correctly, this murder is what helped lead to 911!

Valued Contributor

Re: Investigation Discovery - Kitty Geovese (episode last night 11/11)

Hi Hooty, we have it on the DVR and have not yet watched it; will probably do so tonight after the Voice results. Glad to hear it was interesting.

DH and I have found we are watching a lot of the ID channel. OT, have you ever watched the Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda? We really enjoy his shows.

Super Contributor

Hooty, I'm so sorry I missed this. I saw the promo weeks ago, but forgot to watch. I'll have to look for it on VOD.

I was born in New York and lived not too far from where this happened, therefore I remember it well. Crime wasn't as pervasive then as it is now. Media coverage screamed about this atrocity, and the apathy that surrounded it, for days. At the time, this truly was "the crime of the decade." Despite the fact that it was New York, the attitude of dozens of people hearing the screams of this poor woman, Kitty Genovese, being assaulted brutally or witnessing it from the windows of their nearby apartment buildings and then failing to call the police was unbelievable. Everyone was reluctant to get involved, wrongly rationalizing "someone else will call."

There have been many fictionalized and non-fiction accounts of the crime. It's so hard to believe it's been 50 years since it happened.

Honored Contributor

HisElk, I am a big fan of Investigation Discovery channel and Homicide Hunter, the season finale of Homicide Hunter is next week!

Keri, I am sure they will show it again, it was very interesting, but so sad, her life could have been saved if only someone had called the police!

Valued Contributor

Hooty, thanks for the info about Homicide Hunter. We have it programmed in the DVR.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Hooty. I checked and found it on Comcast Xfinity VOD. It's listed under networks as ID (Investigation Discovery), filed under the series heading, Crime To Remember. The Kitty Genovese story was S2/Ep01, but no repeats are listed yet.
Valued Contributor

We just finished watching this story. What was frustrating was the fact that no where did it show what the sentence was for the killer, Moseley.

I guess I will have to google it to find out.

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 HisElk said:

We just finished watching this story. What was frustrating was the fact that no where did it show what the sentence was for the killer, Moseley.

Well he confessed, so I am assuming he got life, plus he had killed many others!

Valued Contributor

On 11/14/2014 Hooty said:
On 11/13/2014 HisElk said:

Well he confessed, so I am assuming he got life, plus he had killed many others!

Hooty, here's some info I found on Wikipedia. Hope you find it helpful.

Genovese's killer, Winston Moseley, was arrested, found guilty, and sentenced to death on June 15, 1964. That sentence was later reduced to lifetime imprisonment on the grounds that he had not been allowed to argue during the trial that he was "medically insane". Moseley committed another series of crimes when he escaped from custody on March 18, 1968 and then fled to a nearby vacant home, where he held the owners hostage. On March 22, he broke into another home and took a woman and her daughter hostage before surrendering to police. Moseley, who was denied parole for a seventeenth time in December 2013, remains in prison as of December 2013;[9] he is currently one of the longest serving inmates in New York State.[10]

Edited to add there is more interesting reading on the Wiki site about this monster if anyone is interested.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting, HisElk, thanks for the info!