Respected Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

I am really enjoying this series. I find it fascinating how all of these people who fell for her stories and wanted to invest in her. 

I read this morning that the accent is bad in the series because that is how Anna spoke. Her accent was a mix between German and Russian. And that she was that horrible to people and nothing appealing about her. 

I watched 4 episodes last night. I will continue to watch today. 

A lot of my favorite actors are in it which keeps me interested as well. A couple of them from Scandal. 

@lenapecci   her accent is bad i agree. From what i hear that is the way she spoke as you said. 

Respected Contributor

I am on episode 6 and find it fascinating.They have not addressed how she educated herself in art, wine and the finer things in life....would love to know.

Honored Contributor

We watched the whole series.  Julia Garner was very good in the role of Anna, bad wigs and all.

Although she kept my interest, I found the only likable character to be Kacy.

Rachel was so caught up getting the clothes, the trips, etc. and really kept believing she would be paid back on her credit cards.  I felt no sympathy for her.

Neff also believed in Anna and it was a mystery to me why she couldn't see Anna for what she was.

Vivian wanted the story, and I didn't buy into her really wanting to help Anna near the end.  The trip to Germany did nothing but bring more attention to the parents, attention they did not deserve.

Even Anna's boyfriend was another one spending more $$ than he had; using investors $$ to smooze more people and live a nice life,  spending more on Anna without realizing until it was too late that she never paid for a thing.

The lawyer wanted to keep his reputation at all costs; and it almost cost him his marriage.

All in all, the bankers, the woman they lived with for a while who at first treated Anna as a servant-all had $$$ in their eyes and that prevented them from getting all the ducks in a row before approving $$$ for Anna.

Regarding sentencing:

Spoiler
I believe she was given 4-12 years but only served 4.  She was then picked up by ICE for an expired Visa and as of Sept. 2021 I do not see any update about deportation.

Regarding Netlfix:

Spoiler
I believe Neflix paid Anna $300,000+ for the rights but she had to pay restitution to her "victims".  I am not sure if she was ever allowed to keep any of that $$$ since the laws, at least in NY,  prevent earning $$ off of your crimes.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

I'm finished the 4th episode.  Sometimes I just want to quit it---but it always pulls me back in!  Already dreading it being over---because what to watch next??  Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Inventing Anna

[ Edited ]

@pietook wrote:

I'm finished the 4th episode.  Sometimes I just want to quit it---but it always pulls me back in!  Already dreading it being over---because what to watch next??  Any ideas?

@pietook   Hi - Netflix has quite a few mini-series based on the mystery books of Harlan Coben:

We watched:

"Gone for Good" is set in French but of course you can set to English voices and English subtitles.

"Stay Close" is British.

"Safe" is also British.

These all had some interesting twists and turns.

We started "The Woods"  which is set in the Polish language but again you can set to English voices and English subtitles, although the subtitles do no match very well to the voices in this one.

You can search "Harlan Coben" on Netflix and find some others-"The Innocent is another but we have not seen it yet.

It all depends upon what you like-we like British mysteries especially.

eta:  Forget The Innocent.  I had to turn away-way too violent.  The storyline was good but the brutality the women suffer as strippers/prostitutes plus child sex trafficking was too much.

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva 

Brilliant acting by Julia Garner for sure,I remember this story, thinking it was odd that anyone would behave like that. 

Julia is a great actress, she is my favorite part of Ozark.

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

@pietook @Severance starts tomorrow, Friday....looks good. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Inventing Anna

[ Edited ]

I finished all of the episodes Monday night. She really is a horrible person. I did find satisfaction at the ned of the episode learning of her fate. 

After watching I went and watched the 20/20 interview with Deborah Roberts. It aired I believe in October 2021. My take away was she really is that horrible. She was rude and condescending throughout the interview. And her accent was bad. I am still fascinated by the people who believed her, were helping her and giving her money. Also she was not able to keep the money paid to her by Netflix. It is a law in NY that those convicted of a crime cannot keept money related to the crime. I am not sure of the legal terms or the exact law.   

Esteemed Contributor
We've watched 4 episodes so far and after a slow start its really interesting. She snookered everyone but ,except for the reporter, they all had greed in common. For a next series, try 1883; we love it, and Billions, if you haven't already see it.
Honored Contributor

@pietook 

eta:  Forget The Innocent.  I had to turn away-way too violent.  The storyline was good but the brutality the women suffer as strippers/prostitutes plus child sex trafficking was too much.