Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting Info About Streaming & Cord Cutting....

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt.  I got POed at Sling last night when I wanted to watch a program on a major network and found it could only be recorded, not watched.  I was so mad, I called them.  I was told that these channels get to pick and choose what they want to broadcast free.  So if you expect to see everything on HGTV for instance, HGTV may block certain programs.

So then I asked how in the heck you record something on a streaming service.  I was told you get 10 hours of free programming total lifetime but you can buy more time which leads me to believe it's the streaming service doing the blocking.  RIPOFF!

@Kachina624 

I know cable can be high, we were lucky competition came in promising to always be lower than Spectrum and they have kept their promise....  

By the time you lose your bundle discount for your internet and then pay money here and there to subcribe to streaming services to get the channels you want to watch, now add what you said about blocking programming and paying extra if you want to add more time to record streamed programming...it all boils down to it is just not worth the hassle or trouble to cord cut ...JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Both of my brothers recently returned to a cable bundling package.  They said the streaming services had priced themselves out of their budget.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have Dish & am a Prime member so it's free and share netflix.  I would have to spent my life watching TV if I had more streaming services. I am very happy with Dish and will not cut the cord.

Honored Contributor

If I want to buy HBO where is the best place to purchase from? I would want to watch on my Roku, Firestick, tablet, and computer.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt.  I'm saving $60-70 a month so its worth it to me but I'm not happy.  I still have enough to keep me entertained.  I guess we should just keep switching services until they get the message.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I would be happy to ditch cable but DH is old fashioned and loves to click through all the channels. Plus he watches a lot of stuff not offered on any of the streaming services. So we pay not only for cable but HBO, Showtime, Starz, Prime, Netflix, Acorn, Britbox and Apple TV+. I do think I'm going to cancel the Apple. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a cable girl and doubt I'll ever change,  unless forced.  I just want to turn the tv on and have the channels be there. I don't want to have to figure out which streaming service carries what.   I'm fine with cable.

I get my internet with AT&T.  Cable is with Comcast.

I do have Netflix, which I watch on my iPad.

I am giving a little consideration to dropping my landline,  but I'm just not there yet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm a cable girl and doubt I'll ever change,  unless forced.  I just want to turn the tv on and have the channels be there. I don't want to have to figure out which streaming service carries what.   I'm fine with cable.

I get my internet with AT&T.  Cable is with Comcast.

I do have Netflix, which I watch on my iPad.

I am giving a little consideration to dropping my landline,  but I'm just not there yet. 

@gidgetgh 

I'm a cable girl too...

I know what you are going through with your landline.....I hesistated for a long while before I dropped my landline, but my reception got very bad and there was always a lot of static on the line---AT&T said they no longer do the repairs on those copper lines and I would have to hire an electrician to cut threw the wall and replace the wiring....I didnt want to do that so I canceled the landline...

I was concerned because in the event of a power outage I also had an old phone so I could still call out in the event of an emergency with my landline, and I also have a relative and also a friend that have medical conditions and in the event something happened I was listed as an emergency contact in the event a doctor or hospital needed to reach me....I thught about what if I couldn't call out or what if someone couldn't reach me...I use Tracfone as my primary cell phone and was concerned what if my phone couldn't be

re-charged due to a power outage..... but I solved that problem by buying a second Tracfone for a backup....

Disconnecting the landline has worked out really well....and a BIG benefit is no more robo or telemarketing calls--- I get like one a year on my cell phone for that auto warranty scam....

I just wanted to let you know, its scary to get rid of the landline but it worked out for me, and may work out for you too....but if you disconnect dont have the calls forwarded to your cell number, just give those you want your cell phone and update the phone info on the legit companies you do business with... (your doctor, credit cards, electric company, cable, and your employer, etc etc)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt.  I'm saving $60-70 a month so its worth it to me but I'm not happy.  I still have enough to keep me entertained.  I guess we should just keep switching services until they get the message.

@Kachina624 

I understand, thats a nice savings.....but to get the channels I watch all the time it would have cost me $35 a month MORE to cut the cord....

But I think eventually the cost of these streaming services will be as much as cable was....maybe I'm just pessimistic on how things always seem to work out for us consumers....

Respected Contributor

@froggy my husband is the same way.  As DISH lost more and more local channels, my husband was not happy as those channels carried many of the football games he watches.  And our DISH bill didn't reflect the loss of these channels, either.  We were still paying for ALL the local channels.  So we investigated streaming and tried YouTube TV.  I loved it and would have switched in a heartbeat.  It is the only streaming service that offers PBS, which is my favorite local channel, as well as unlimited recording.  They had many, many channels that he/we enjoy.  It didn't have the History channel, the GRIT channel, or other things he likes, though,but in order to drop the cost of our monthly bill, we decided to get rid of DISH.  After a couple of calls to DISH, they offered us a free outdoor antenna that they would install at no cost to us, and the local channels would show up on our guide just like usual, and we could record them.  Since we were no longer paying for the local channels, they aren't recorded automatically any longer (Is that called Primetime Now?--can't remember), but we can record what we want to watch from them, which wasn't much.

Because of being loyal customers, they also gave us a $40 a month credit for 12 months.  We got rid of the Joey in the bedroom as we hardly ever watch TV in there, and bought an indoor antenna for it.  So we get local channels there as well as Netflix and Prime Video.  We have occasionally bought other streaming services on our smart TV's if there is something we want to watch.  

I really do like DISH, but they had just gotten so expensive, that we were ready to pull the plug.  But now that they dropped our $110 monthly bill to $50 a month for a year, we were more than happy to stay.  I will have to call next November to renegotiate our bill, and we have decided that if they don't beat or meet YouTube's price of $65 per month, we are done with DISH.  My husband can get the GRIT channel on our outdoor antenna, and other channels might be added to YT TV eventually, so he is willing to switch if it comes down to that.