Inside Buckingham Palace, The Coronation, Inside Windsor Castle

Tonight 

Smithsonian Channel 

Honored Contributor

Re: Inside Buckingham Palace, The Coronation, Inside Windsor Castle

@butterfly123 wrote:

Tonight 

Smithsonian Channel 

I wish I got this channel. I would love to see it. Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123  @OKPrincess  You can get it though Amazon.  Smithsonian has a lot of interesting looking programs listed there.  I think I'll try it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@butterfly123  @OKPrincess  You can get it though Amazon.  Smithsonian has a lot of interesting looking programs listed there.  I think I'll try it.

Thanks. No wonder I couldn’t find it on my cable TV lineup.

@Sooner

Honored Contributor

I watched Inside Windsor Castle. And years ago I got to tour parts of Windsor Castle. And it accured to me as I was watching the show how we were lucky to be able to tour part of the castle.

In November 1992 there was a large fire that damaged much of Windsor Castle. In order to come up with the funds for the restoration the Queen opened up Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace to visitors. Well, that was at the same time we happened to take a vacation trip to England. And we were able to purchase tickets to tour Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace. 

The thing that stuck out in my mind was in Windsor Castle. They had huge cloths to block off the fire damaged area from the tour. But I guess workmen going back and forth pushed the cloths aside. You could see the fire damaged rooms. It was heartbreaking to see. Everything in the room was completely burned. So sad to see. And such work to restore.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla

Thank you for writing about your tour. I imagine the artwork alone is amazing. 

Honored Contributor

Butterfly123 - Yes, especially in Buckingham Palace. Since it was untouched by any disaster. All the art work was hanging up. There were long hallways to get to rooms and they were absolutely beautiful.

Did not notice so much art work in Windsor. But that probably was because I am guessing that smoke damaged anything that wasn't burned and it had to be restored.