Honored Contributor

In the credits of older movies

Fashions by Edith Head and

Dog training by Rudd Weatherwax

I use to love the old black and white films they showed in our schools back in the 60's. 

But some of the first color movies, I recall one of Elvis'  can't think of the name of it, but I recall how beautiful the color in the movies were back then.  

Now look at the films.  We take so much for granted. LOL

Trusted Contributor

Re: In the credits of older movies

The early color was Technicolor, I think, and it was particularly beautiful.  I just saw an old movie from the forties, Shephard of the Hills, and  I was thinking that the color was amazing.  When I looked it up on Imdb.com, it was explained that a different kind of color was used (I think Technicolor, I forget now).

Honored Contributor

I have attended several 35mm film festivals recently. And yes the reason some old movies still have true colors is because of Technicolor. One film festival they showed films made in Technicolor vs other formats so we could compare colors.

It was an expensive process. "Technicolor wasn't a type of color film; instead, it was a process in which a specially modified motion picture camera recorded the same scene through colored filters on three different strips of film. These strips were then processed separately and used to "print" colors onto each finished print of the film sent to theaters."

So to save money film studios started using cheaper processes. That is why some color films have alot of red in them. And some old movies "Wizard of Oz",  "Robin Hood", "Snow White", and "Gone With the Wind" were all shot in Technicolor.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla @blueroses47 

Thank you both, that's most interesting

Honored Contributor

I remember the year the film was made appeared in the credits in Roman numerals.

That's not as common today.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   What is amazing about The Wizard Of Oz is that the movie starts out in black & white!  I do not recollect any other "old movie" doing that.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac 

If you watch the 1939 film "The Women", the movie is in black and white except the fashion show sequence is in color. I think this is one movie that should have been shot in color given all of the leading lady actresses who wore beautiful clothes and who were quite beautiful.

I also wish that "Roman Holiday" would have been shot in color instead of black and white film.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of Edith Head, Costume Design wasn't an Oscar category until 1948. so lots of films, such as Gone With the Wind missed out.

From 1948 to 1956 there were two awards granted: one for Black&White film and the other for Color.

From 1957 on there was only one award.

Edith was nominated 35 times and won the Oscar 8 times. At the ceremony for 1950 she won both awards, for All About Eve and Samson and Delilah.

Honored Contributor

Movies are spewed out now --- boom, boom, boom!  Not so back in the day.  Much less of them, and much greater care taken.  The majority of films today ---- rubbish, pure and simple.  From how they are made - to the content.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

There's a whole think about movie theaters and the low light they use to save money.

THis is why people want 4k tvs, etc.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN