Esteemed Contributor

DH and I noticed the fast pace and the double pictures; I thought it was because they'd devote more time to Doris Day and Kirk Douglas (they didnt).  More people seemed to die this year!

Honored Contributor
@bikerbabe. Thanks, didnt know that. Then his In Memorium was certainly deserved at the Oscar's. What was ithe doc about?
Respected Contributor
They forgot Orson Bean and Robert Conrad too. 😢
Respected Contributor
It seems every year they omit someone.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Re: In Memoriam at Oscars

[ Edited ]

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
They forgot Orson Bean and Robert Conrad too. 😢

@Naturesbeauty Since those happened within the past couple of days, it may have been too late to change the program.  RIP, love both actors.

Trusted Contributor

@Ladygray Off topic.....I remember reading that about Brad Pitt (him "growing up" watching 90210) and thinking it was the craziest thing ever.  I grew up watching 90210 (I was a teen in the 1990s) and I knew Brad Pitt was older than me.

I just looked it up....Brad Pitt would have been 27 when 90210 started and 37 when it ended. (Also he was 3 years older than Luke Perry).  

They say girls mature faster than boys.  I guess so.  Woman LOL

And Luke Perry was in movies. He starred in the movie 8 Seconds. They should have included him.

Valued Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@Ladygray   No, I don't recall seeing his photo either.  I was straining my ears trying to hear Billie Eilish singing 'Yesterday' that I lost my focus.  Not sure what all the hype is about her other than her manner of dress and choice of hair color.

They also doubled up on a lot of the photographs.

Her rendition of Yesterday was beautiful. I’m sorry you didn’t hear it. She recently won 5 Grammy awards and has brought huge social awareness regarding depression and suicide to the forefront with her music. (Sadly, a topic which seems to need addressing more and more these days.) Honestly, I don’t know many other 18 year olds that have accomplished as much. Sounds like she’s just not your cup of tea, and that’s ok. Different strokes, as they say. Have a great week. 😊

Respected Contributor

Perhaps these were just those that passed away in 2020 and more recently in late 2019....

Honored Contributor

Tim Conway

Robert Conrad

Cameron Boyce (young Disney star who died at 22)

Rene Auberjonoise

Jan-Michael Vincent

Michael J. Pollard

Tallulah Bankhead

Don Ameche

Sue Lyons 

Carol Lynley

These are just some I've read about - I'm sure there are more.

They should do away with this completely. Years ago it used to bother me when people clapped. Someone recent would get tons of applause, and a great movie star from the past would get tepid applause. So I was glad when they went to having a singer. 

But they always omit someone. They should just have a page of tributes on the Academy's website and keep it updated. I'm sure they have enough money and talent to take care of that! Then they could have one of their many celebrities come to the microphone and say, "This is in memory of the Academy members we've lost this past year." Someone could still sing a "tribute" song without the pictures. JMHO! 

Honored Contributor
@Pearlee
Sorry I misspoke, Kobe’s Oscar was in the category of Best Animated Short Film. “Dear Basketball” was produced by his studio, based on a poem written by Bryant about the impact of basketball on his life. He had plans to produce more films.